No artwork to share today? That’s OK, too… We’d love to hear from you. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the comment form.

1. 2 months ago i was searching for something on you tube and got side tracked when i saw a video on Paper mache piggy banks and i thought well i can do that lol and so i made my first piggy bank. got to admit it wasn’t very good. then i found one of your videos and i found your paper mache clay and i used it on my piggy banks i have sense gotten better in fact i made piggy banks for my 6 grand kids and my nieces and nephews for Christmas and they loved them now im hooked on paper mache and just recently bought you book on animal sculptures and i cant wait to get started

• Hi Linda. I’m so glad you’re having fun making your piggy banks. We would love to see them – did you try to upload a photo with your comment? If you did, it was too big, so please make the image smaller and try again. If not – please do. We really want to see them. And I hope you enjoy making the projects in the book, too.

• its just a balloon covered in newspaper strips and paste and then i layered it with your papermache clay. it turned really good and my grand daughter loved it

• Ahhh – he’s sweet. I can see why your granddaughter loves it. Those eyes really give him some character, and the flowers are very nicely painted. I can’t wait to see what you make next.

• Awesome piggy bank Linda! What a nice gift. I bet it was really fun personalizing each one for each kid.

• Awesome piggy bank. I have made so many of them it would be difficult to count. She has such character.

May I ask what you used for the nose, ears, and feet?

(I gave up on balloons because the temperature varied by 50 degrees a day and I couldn’t keep control of the size — even though Jonni showed how to use the plaster tape. I follow Jonni’s book on making animals and before adding the last layer of clay I cut them open and remove all the insides. The cow I made for this blog wasn’t really beautiful, and I wish I had made the cow below into a piggy bank!)

Thanks so much for showing us. Just FYI, one piggy bank I made, I put black tubes in for the nose holes and that is how you stuck the rolled-up money into the bank. Love the color.

• Thanks. I worked with a man and became good friends with him when he invited me out for a “Coke” for a work break. I made him a universe piggy bank and used a Coke cup for the nose — as a sort of inside joke. Yours is too cute. Thanks, again.

2. My last message of 2017. This has been an awful year for me with two hospital stays as well as other health problems. It took me weeks to recover from my pneumonia and when I was trying to unplug my vaporizer, I somehow twisted my back and have been suffering much pain for weeks. I thank you, Jonni, and your sculptors whose creations and comments have helped keep me sane. I truly hope the new year brings only good things to all of us.

3. Hello everyone! I recently picked up working with clay again. Some of my projects include a doll house for my niece and a gingerbread lamp. I made the walls for the doll house out of clay, cardboard and aluminum foil. Given more time I would cover them in popsicle sticks first then clay to provide better support. Thank you Jonni for sharing your knowledge and publishing books. They’re on my birthday wish list for my husband. Cheers!

4. Jonni I love your work your so talented. You inspired to do my very first papier-mâché deer he turned out cool but I have no idea how to mount him on wood and wonder if you had any ideas?

• Hi Kayla. Is it the head and neck of a deer? If it’s light enough, and if there’s a flat cardboard back on the neck, you can use epoxy glue to attache it to the wood. If it’s heavy, you might need to use a piece of wood for the flat back of the neck, with the paper mache firmly attached all the way around the sides. Then you could screw in from the back of the wood mount into the wood on the neck.

Do you have a photo of your deer that you would like to share with us? I’d love to see it.

5. This is another of my first projects and is a Mexican art form know as Alebrije. This one turned out pretty much like I saw it is my mind. My Mexican Xoloitzuintli dog was the inspiration for this project. I used a bottle as my basic base as I wanted some weight in my finished project and it stands 16″ tall. I love the Alebrije art form and am working on another project in this style.

6. These are my first two efforts at faces. The elf was the second try and it better than the Santa. I am trying different bases – the santa being a bottle and the elf on Styrofoam. I am not getting the smoothness that I would like on the faces – any suggestions

• I used the recipe from the Make Animal Sculptures book. I had a lot of difficulty with the ears on the elf and the nose and eyes on the santa. I did pretty well on the smoothing on large surfaces but the detail items I just could get smooth enough.

• The smaller details are more difficult, for sure. Lately I’ve been dipping a finger into a mixture of white glue and water, half and half, and rubbing it lightly over the wet paper mache clay. But if your faces are as small as I think they are, that might not work. Maybe a Q’tip?

• Andrea, they are cute. Love them.

I am hooked on Jonni’s air-dry clay. It is the recipe with corn starch in it. You can make very tiny parts very smooth. I’ll attach a photo of a tapir I made with it. With the pm clay, if I wet my fingers and rub on it, the clay bunches up and is rough with many bumps. With the air-dry clay, I can smooth the clay with my fingers dipped in water and it gets very smooth.

Nice project.

• I am going to give that a try – you described exactly what I was running into with the santa and elf. Every time I would try to smooth it would bunch and I am looking for the quality of smoothing that your tapir is showing. I am about ready to start another elf and will use the air dry and see how I do – and thank you for your advise. Also love your work.

• I understand you would like a smoother finish but I have to say your faces are adorable!! When I want a really smooth finish I make my paper mache clay thicker, then use a sander and sand it smooth, then do a layer of gesso, then sand, then another layer or two of Jonni’s gesso. It is time-consuming, but fun. I have not tried the air dry clay yet.

• Pedro, yes, always speak freely! If you are like me, how much time is spent creating something doesn’t make it better. Two weeks for the shark and four years for the Pterodactylus! Thanks so much, sir. Can’t wait for your next figurine.

By the way, my friend Cathy gave me the head of a witch for Halloween. I’m thinking I need to add a body to it. Any ideas? (Right now it is on a skewer-stick.)

• How sweet Rex! Was it a wedding gift or was it part of the wedding decor? There are so many themes these days for weddings, one can’t be sure. Either way, they are sure to love it. I never did respond to your whale shark-it is also a beauty. You have been doing some fine work, I hope this means you are feeling better.

• Eileen, I’m always slow and late. It was a wedding gift. I delivered it yesterday, and they got married three months ago. Thanks so much for the comment. What are you working on now? Something amazing is coming, I’m sure.

Been for our three-mile walk. Teca is tired, as am I, and she is waiting for dinner in the oven. She probably ran six miles.

• Three miles in what I imagine to be very cold weather, if it is really cold in PA, I am sure it is even colder in Utah!
          I haven’t been doing too much sculpting lately, I took on several projects for Christmas that I had to complete. Our family is still celebrating the holidays and the efforts have been going in that direction. All will settle soon though and I can get back to work. I have 2 that I have to finish and I will post them. I did a fun Pal Tiya piece that I may post even though it is not paper mache. So, keep on reading the daily sculptors page!
          So glad you are able to take long walks and sculpt again!

• Yes, please post the Pal Tiya piece. I’m hoping to make something with Pal Tiya in January, and I could use the inspiration.

I do hope neither you nor Rex are having weather like we are here in MN. Beautiful, sunny, and really cold. It was -14° when I got up this morning, and our high is supposed to be -11°. Not good for the doggy feet when they have to go outside for a bathroom break. I can’t imagine even Teca staying outside for long in that kind of weather. I haven’t heard anyone call it a Polar Vortex this year, though. I wonder why?

• oh boy Jonni-I dont know what i would do in negative degree weather. PA is cold for us but the lowest has been is 9 degrees, with a lower wind chill factor of course. The wind is what kills us here though.
              Right now we are covered in snow. Usually i take the sculpture pics outside so I will need a bit of a thaw to take them. Then is will post the pics.

7. “Say Cheeeeze” This is Shimmy, the magical unicorn. My latest paper mache project. Hard to see in the photos, but he shimmers iridescent. Face is polymer clay, horn is small Christmas ornament.
    The “cheeky” smile was “his” idea; when forming his face, the toothy smile just happened! LOL!

• Yes, please try again. I’ve made a number of unicorns, and if I made one now, it would be totally different. Would love to see what you have done.

Thanks.

8. Grady and Malek, this is for my autistic friend! It is the only gift I finished this year. It is a whale shark, one of his favorite animals. I had fun doing it. Hope he is surprised. (I’m going to write him a note letting him know it won’t eat his penguins!)

Merry Christmas, everyone. Weather is cooling off drastically here in Utah. We may hibernate tomorrow during the storm.

• Your shark is beautiful, Rex. I love the spots! Your young friend will love it, too, I’m sure.

This might be a good spot to share something I read in the book NeuroTribes, by Steve Silberman. Doctor Aspberger himself said no art is possible without at least a little bit of autism. I can easily believe that. NeuroTribes is a fascinating book, especially for anyone interested in the way WWII affected medical research both in the US and Europe. And much of it’s based locally, because so many researchers who fled Europe ended up in the Midwest. I’m only half-way through the book – there’s so much to absorb that I’m taking it a little at a time.

• Thanks, Jonni,

I believe Doctor Aspberger. The book sounds fascinating. (I went ahead and ordered it!)

As a Christmas gift to those who read or don’t read!, here is a poem I heard on PBS. It is an amazing piece of work.

Jason Reynolds

I feel like crying
        Which felt like another person
        strapped behind my face.
        Tiny fists punched the back of my eyes,
        First kicking my throat at the spot
        Where the swallow starts.
        Stay put, I whispered to him,
        Stay strong, I whispered to him,
        Because crying is against the rules.

• Rex your shark looks awesome! Very realistic and I’m sure your friend is going to love it! Jonni that book sounds really interesting. I will have to look it up once I’m past my stack of must-reads in my corner.

• Thanks, Carrie. I’m trying to get a cow finished before Christmas. Yikes! My headboard has shelves across the top of it. That is where I keep my “must-read” books! I must have about 50 or so; I can relate! Other things creep in, of course.

Last year I read over 60 books. This year it is at 45. One of my favorite fiction books is “Cloud Atlas” by David Mitchell. It is an amazing book, one of the best I have read in my 60+ years of reading. (He’s great, in any case.)

• Thanks, Barbara. Yes, I do stained glass. I did a good-sized one of a fish blowing bubbles. It changed my life. I swore it was the last stained glass I would make with bubbles everywhere! You can imagine.

9. My daughter (age 9) and I assembled the “faux trophy” bear this weekend; what a blast! I’m a machinist by trade and not especially artistic, but I’m accustomed to working with drawings and templates, so off we went!

Rebekah did all the scissors work and I cleaned up a few of her cuts with a razor. After 15 minutes of poor taping success, we teamed up and I folded while she hot-glued the tabs. There was a 30-40 min “learning” curve for the first 20 pcs, but the remaining 20 took less time.

After pattern building, I sprayed the form with aerosol “kilz” to lightly seal the paper. We then adhered a ring of blue board in the neck to help with strength and stiffness. We covered it in the traditional PM (fortified w/wood glue), using lightweight brown packing paper. 1” Green marbles were used as eyes and we ended up “building up” eye brows with jute twine and the glue gun; we PM’d those areas again before a coat of Jonni’s gesso. After the requisite dry time, Rebekah sketched the paint boundaries and went to work with acrylic.

She loves bears and is as thrilled with it as I. We’re not “artists”, but we will be making additional creatures for fun!

Thanks Jonni!

• Chris, we would love to see the mask, and I’ll bet you tried to upload a photo with your comment. (Thanks, by the way, for your description of your process. You and your daughter discovered methods that would make it easier for anyone who makes their own bear). Anyhoo, if you did try to upload a photo, it was probably too large. I’ll contact you privately to see if I can help, and to try to talk you into doing a guest post for us. 🙂

10. This is one I got done with in November I thought I had posted , I was looking at past post and there is some very cool work.

11. My 6 year old son Malek is an
    artistic crafty little guy and he is autistic. He absolutely loves Humpty Dumpty and he has watched your YouTube video dozens of times! He asked to make a Humpty Dumpty like you!! I helped shape the wire but he did more than 90% of this on his own all from watching your video!

• If it’s just cracking as it shrinks, you can usually fix that with another layer of paper strips and paste, or paper mache clay if that’s what you’re using. What material do you use to make it? What did you use for the armature, and what kind of paper mache are you using to cover it?

• The only time I have had that problem is when I use too much joint compound. Good luck. Let us know what happens, and please post a photo. Thanks.

12. For those of you with photographic memories, the Pterodactyl that I finished making three years ago is now painted. Here is a photo of her, affectionately named PTerri. (And, yes, true to nature, I had to fix three claws, a broken tail, and a broken leg. It is for my sister who has three other dinosaurs, but I won’t be shipping this one.

• Oh my – it’s wonderful, Rex. This is my favorite yet, although your latest rhino is a really close second. She has so much personality, and the painting has depth and interest. Nice tummy, too. 🙂

• Thank you, Jonni. It would take an advanced mathematician to count how many layers of paint she has on her! I don’t know if you can see, but there is a small hole at the end of her tail, a small hole on each of the wrists, and three small holes on the top of the head. She was meant to fly, so one can decide which holes to attach strings.

I also wanted to add somewhere about how you wrapped the legs first on William to determine how far out from the hips were from the spine. I’m making a calf, and I thought, “Well, between an elephant and a horse,” so I looked up the measurements in your book and tried the middle ground. It was wrong. When I put the legs up to the body, I could immediately see that the hips were not wide enough. I was so glad to get that instruction from you because determining how far to put the legs from a body is probably my biggest hurdle. (I added double what I had, and it looks good. You can judge when I post it!

• How will you get the wires attached to the holes? Do they go all the way through? I hope we get to see her after she’s hanging in her new permanent home. Do you think her new family would mind?

And I’m glad my new foil method for the leg separation helped. It’s easier to see how they’ll look after they’re finished, I think. I can’t wait to see how your calf turns out.

• If you look closely at the first photo of PTerri, you can see one string coming out of the tail. The hole goes through the center of the large piece at the end of the tail. You really can’t see it when looking at the piece. The other string goes out of the photo to the left. The string is attached to the small hole on the wrist, which is a “bump” with a hole through it.

It is now hanging down from my curtain. I will probably have it until September. I will take a close up of the holes.

• I’ve always thought that artists need to be engineers, too. I think you’ve just proved it. I have a spot in my house that needs a hanging sculpture (maybe a baby dragon?) so I may be able to use your method when I get around to making it. Do you have wires going all the way though the PTerri, perhaps attached to the armature? Or are the holes placed so you can change how she ‘flies,’ depending on what works best in different places? Too many questions? 🙂

• Rex, he is wonderful! It reminds me of a kids movie, Land Before Time, the character’s name was Petri. It was my son’s first movie at age 4( he is now 32) Petri was his favorite. You brought back nice memories.
      The paint job is fabulous…it is not as if you could use a model or pic from the internet as a reference, so I am even more impressed. Nicely done.

13. Hello. Three years ago (I think) I discovered this site and i saw this amazing paper mache elephant. I only then realized what you could do with paper mache (other then balloons or eggs). So I decided to give it a try. So far I’ve made an elephant, some muchrooms, a squirrel and two polar bears. My latest “work” is a bambi (made after the disney character). I’ve used a cardboard box, newspapers and tape to make the shape. I do this just for fun, because I like to create things, so it’s not really advanced or anything. Hope somebody likes it 🙂

• He’s beautiful, Isis. I’m so glad you discovered the site – it looks like you’re having a lot of fun. Do you have photos of your other sculptures, too? We’d love to see them all!

• Dear Isis, I really love Bambi. You depicted it so well. I love her quizzical nature.

Thanks for showing us your other creations. The polar bear is fun. I love animals, and they are so much fun.

(You elephant is so much better than mine, but, then again, mine is a Huffalump — by mistake! lol. Thanks.)

• Jonni, I got a thin mix of gesso and modeling paste on a place mat. Neither washing machine nor dryer could get it off. It did not even soften it. Modeling paste is rock hard. I use it on the cloth covered faces I sculpt of paper clay for a hard finish. It might be worth an experiment for outdoors.

• Hi Loretta. We would love to see those cloth covered faces that you sculpt with paper clay. At least I know I would. Do you have a photo you’d be willing to share?

• This doll was sculpted in paper clay. A soft t-shirt knit was glued over the face for added stability. A messy mix of gesso and modeling paste mixed with water was then painted on to harden off the face. Acrylic paint was applied afterward. The doll was made to resemble 1930′ s baby dolls, thus the red lips.

• The knit fabric answers one question I had – how you got such a smooth, wrinkle-free surface. I wonder if we could use that method for larger pieces, like one of our animal sculptures. Have you ever made something that was larger than one piece of knit fabric would cover? Is it possible to make the ‘seams’ smooth?

Your baby’s face is just adorable, by the way. Both sculpting and painting are so nice – if she was in the house, it would be hard to not pick her up and start talking to her. 🙂

• Hi, Jonni. Here is a doll made with the cloth over face method. I apply a couple of applications of a thin gravy mix of gesso and modeling paste to harden them off and protect the paper clay from moisture and breakage. This doll was made with a nod to the big baby dolls of the 1930’s, thus the very red lips.

• Sorry for the double comment. Perhaps you have deleted the first one without a picture. Here is one more made with the same method. Then another in process so you can see the cloth over. It has not been covered with gesso and modeling paste yet.

• Isis your Bambi is wonderful! You have the cuteness X 10!! Your other sculptures are very nice too, great work!

• Isis, all of your sculptures are quite fun but I do love your little Bambi all nestled up under the hydrangea bush. Welcome to the club of paper mache enthusiasts! Nice job!

14. Here is an elephant piggy bank. I apologize for its state. I showed it to my sister, and she said, “Oh call it a huffalump.” (Isn’t that a Dr. Seuss character.) Anyway, it is probably the worst elephant on this site, but I can’t win them all! lol. Thanks.

• I like him! I can see why your sister wanted to call it a Heffalump – I had to look it up, of course, but Mr. Google says the Heffalump character was in Winnie the Poo. He was an elephant that Poo saw only in his dreams. And look at the original drawing by E.H. Shepard that I found on Wikipedia:

Your elephant is a spitting image of that drawing – so I think your sister gave you a great compliment! Well done, Rex.

• I am beyond embarrassed. My sister and I first saw a Winnie the Poo movie at Disneyland when she was a teenager. We both have memorabilia from the movies, so not to recognize that right away makes me think I have dementia! Thanks so much for the information. (sigh!)

• Eileen, love your comments and creations. To tell the truth, she was very bland. I followed Jonni’s instructions in her making animals book, and she looked awesome. When I added the final “wash” to bring out her wrinkles and skin pattern, I botched it. Then she was too dark and muddy. I put another wash over her. When I painted the feet, that is the point where the dark eyes took over. I just had to be finished. She has a very flat face, which I attempted to fix by adding clay, but all I did was make her front heavy. A little nudge and she is sitting on her nose instead of her feet! Ah! Live and learn.

• Rex, I found two more critters for you to add to your to-do list. The Quoll would make a great piggy bank, with his round little tummy and nice spots, and the Halszkaraptor escuilliei would be a real challenge to get him to stand up on his hind feet, although if he was swimming it would be easier. Actually, I might beat you to that one, if you make your chupacabra first. 🙂

• Jonni, those are fun critters. I love the Quoll, especially — of course.

I may get sidetracked with William. He is so darn cute.

Right now I’m working on a Bali (red) calf. It is coming along, but I have broken both ears. You think I would learn by now to really leave ears until the last. The tail is in the aluminum foil state, so at least I didn’t break it. The story of my life.

I’ve been researching the chupacabra, and the one I posted on this site has a number of mythologies surrounding it. It is, I believe, in DeWitt County, Texas. The chupacabra has many faces, but some conjecture that this one is a coyote with mange. I hope that isn’t true. Takes the fun out of it.

Thanks so much.

• Now I can’t wait to see both your William and your quoll. When I checked the chupacabra stories online, there were some that had spikes on the back and stood upright. Some people thought they might be monkeys that escaped from a local cage, but that makes no sense – even if you ignore the spikes. Still, a sculpture standing on hind legs would be really interesting, but maybe without the mange. The possibilities are almost endless with this legend.

• Yes, the standing up chupacabra didn’t strike my interest. I first saw the creature I posted on a show called “Mysteries at the Museum.” It is fascinating to me. Living among people here who kill EVERYTHING, I loved the idea that one mythological creature came to life and actually survived a few years. Rare sightings. Anyway, thank you.

• Oh, Rex, I’m sorry but I totally disagree with this that you stated “it is probably the worst elephant on this site” just shockingly untrue!! Your elephant is so cute and the eyes, in my opinion, are gorgeous.

15. I wish (a few words to while away the time as I sit in hospital with another problem…a jump in my sugar that needed two injections of insulin..my first ever..attributed to the prednisone I am on for pneumonia. Woe is me!!

I wish I could write a wonderful poem
    Bits from my heart, my core
    On pages that although they may yellow with age
    Will last a lifetime or more.
    Words to enthrall the reader
    Making them happy they spent the time
    To read what I have written
    Though the words don’t always rhyme.

I wish I could paint a picture
    With colours that leap from the frame
    Embracing the viewer with glorious hues
    So vivid they feel touched by a flame..
    With brushstrokes that tell a story
    Of the laughter and tears
    Of the losses and loves,
    I have known in my many years.

I have painted many pictures
    and written many poems
    Expressing myself in colour and word,
    But always lacking it seems
    The beautiful visions and elegant phrases
    That appear to me in my dreams.

• What beautiful words, Joyce. What a gift you’ve given us. I’m going to print your comment and put it on my wall, if you don’t mind. And I do hope you get better soon. You’ve had enough trials already, and it’s time for you to get better and go home. I’m sure you agree … 🙂

• Thank you, Jonni. Please send me a copy by email when you have printed it. What a compliment coming from a published writer.
        I am going home this afternoon…in their words ( before something else happens to me). And no more prednisone. The doctor said (get you off that stuff). They were quite concerned yesterday when sugar went so high. I am feeling better today, but very tired. I long for my own bed, a hot bubble bath ,and my cat, my daughter. Not necessarily in that order. My next entry will be from home. Maybe another poem

• I’m so glad you’re going home. And your cat will be happy to see you, I’m sure. I’ll be sure to send you that copy, perhaps later today. I’m canning some chicken and navy bean chili right now, so I need to go watch the pot. Have a nice trip home!

• Your poem is on it’s way – be sure to let me know if you don’t get it. It’s those last three lines that really get me – who hasn’t wished that our words or artwork would look the way it does when we imagine it will before we begin?

That bubble bath sounds nice. 🙂

• Thanks, Joni. So far no bubble bath. I find I am incredibly weak ..can barely make it to the kitchen. My lungs are still very congested …
            I’m glad my words strike a chord with others. I am so glad that via my iPad friend, I can share my inner self and I hope when I feel better, some of my clay creations. I love this space!

• Joyce you poor thing! I am no stranger to the hospital and health woes so I truly feel your pain. I hope your first night home you have the deepest most wonderful sleep ever.

• Thank you, Carrie. I did sleep for about 10 hours straight. This has been a very bad year for me. I haven’t been this ill since I gave up smoking 29 years ago. Hopefully it will be uphill from now on.

• Joyce, you must have very vivid dreams if your written word is not adequate in your mind. Your poem is lovely and I applaud you for being able to write such a beautiful poem while feeling so poorly. Better days are ahead girl so embrace that daughter, cat and bubble bath(not necessarily in that order) Special things await you, I can just feel it!

• Thank you so much. Eileen, for your lovely words. I am at home, but still feeling really weak and congested. It seems that when my hands are not active, my brain works overtime turning my thoughts into poems and thanks to my iPad I can get them down before they disappear. About your little birds…did you use a pattern. I have a little table that fits over your lap and I thought I could maybe make some foil birds sitting here until I feel better. I would appreciate any advice.

• I am glad you are home. Don’t be tempted to get things done, like laundry and household chores. They can wait until you are better.
          I did not use any pattern but just squished tin foil to get the desired shape, added a beak and a bit of wire to twist as a place to hang it with(a paper clip would work if you have no wire.) I do think I covered the finished bird with masking tape but if you use Jonni’s smooth air dry clay you don’t need to do that. Then cover half with the clay, let dry, do the other half. If you don’t, you will be stuck trying to figure out how to dry the other half without ruining the shape- I learned that the hard way. Best of luck on the project and I hope the strength improves and congestion goes away.

• Joyce, that was such a gift. Thank you for sharing it. I was very touched, and you ended it nicely and perfectly with those three lines. Take care of yourself.

16. I want everyone to meet my new pet Ginger. Please don’t let her know she is made with toilet paper I don’t want her to feel inferior. My first attempt at paper mache since first grade and that was a long long long time ago. I hope u get her picture. I just used ur sizer. Not that I know what to do with it. Let me know if u get her pic

• We didn’t get the pick, but we’ll all get to see Ginger when your guest post is finished. I’ve had a peek already, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how she was made. 🙂