No artwork to share today? That’s OK, too… We’d love to hear from you. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the comment form.

1. Love your new website format! First time I’ve been here in awhile but wanted to show you how I’ve used your newer mache’ recipe. It was a little sticky…thinking I left too much water in it, but still worked well and held detail. Anxious to mix up another batch. He’s not exactly scale, but I’m aiming for a high stepping long legged ride for a Santa who will also be lean and long. Will send another pic when I finish!

2. I’ve been working on a couple of more sculpts trying to get these done. Here is the progress so far. one is more finished than the other.

• Wow! Looks like we found our figure person. Jose, these are fantastic. Thanks for sharing. We need a “how-to” demonstration!

• I appreciate the comment. I’m not sure what would be best for me giving a demonstration. One thing you can do now though is follow the link to my page on deviant art where you’ll be able to see many work in progress photos. It’ll give you an idea of how I get things done and I have put up a tutorial and plan to do some more. Also if you have any questions after that you can ask me here or on that page and I’ll be sure to answer.

• Thanks. I haven’t been able to comment as much As I’d like due to the fact that I can’t afford the internet at home and I have a limited time at the library when I use their computers but just wanted to say that you’ve been doing an excellent job with your work and the website. And to answer your question, yes these are super sculpey.

• That is a fantastic job with the hair and face. What is your link to look up how you do whatever you do! I want to make an angel but don’t have a clue how to begin. One thing I’m afraid of is proportions of body parts. You have it down. Thanks.

• it looks like the links to the videos doesn’t work. I don’t have videos. I’m too camera shy to record myself on video. 🙂

• Thanks. I do have a tutorial on making the hair on my deviant art page. Just follow Jonni’s highlighted link or click on my name. Proportions are very important I would start off by developing a drawing that would set proportions for you depending on what size you will make your angel. That’s what I did recently. I use idealized proportions for these superhero ones which means they are 9 heads tall. But if you want more realistic proportions, that would be about 7 or 8 heads tall.

• Thanks Jose and Jonni. I looked at Lemon’s site. I will have to go back when I have more time. Maybe I’ll learn something. I didn’t know that about body proportions, Jose. Maybe I’ll have to make a super angel! Don’t know. Need to gather some ideas, especially about how to get started. I’ll check your website later; maybe the links will work. Thanks for the direction (and encouragement).

• I took a picture of what I did to give you an idea of what I mean. These are for a 12 in figure otherwise known as 1/6 scale. I put both realistic and Idealized proportions right next to each other so you can choose which one to use. As you can see, the difference between them is that idealized has a smaller head and more elongated limbs. Hope this helps.

• Thanks so much. This is interesting and useful information. My cousin now has me wrapped up making pumpkins, plus I’m getting ready to move, but I will definitely use this.

3. Wow! Do you want the reply in book form or “fill in the small box”? Since 2002 I have been living with other people, mostly relatives. The check-box answer would be no, don’t do it, especially if you like silence, like to make a mess occasionally, and like to do your art – so it may have to do with art. The reason it took me from August to April to finish your animal sculpture book was because I was living in an environment that was not suitable to work. I am now looking to buy a small house so I can do what I want. I think what says it all is that I have moved 5 times in the past 3 years.

The only way I would consider it now is if you know the person extremely well and are extremely compatible, trust each other, and are honest emotionally.

(I’m proud of myself for keeping this short, and with a twinge of humor, I would probably fit your roommate criteria more than most. I like it quiet and peaceful. AND my dog would only chase your cat if she ran, but he is never mean!)

Just my opinion.

• Rex, good advice. Perhaps during your house hunting you’ll be more reasonable than I was, and buy a house that’s the right size for you and your dog.

• I should mention, as an ex-real estate person who just can’t help herself – there are some very affordable homes available in the cute little towns near Brookings, SD. This is a very nice place to live, there are a lot of artists (although I don’t know where they sell their work). And the unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the nation.

• Sounds promising. Thanks. Wow.

I have put an offer on a house in Utah. The 115 degree-temperatures in California were too much to bear, especially when living in a small camper.

4. This has absolutely nothing to do with art, but I’m wondering if anyone out there has recent experience sharing a house. Co-housing, I think they’re calling it now. I ask because it’s been years since I’ve had a room mate, and some of my college-age experiences were not great. But I bought a house that has two more bedrooms than I need, and it seems crazy to not share the place. But – (lots of “buts” here) – I’m also getting old and crabby, and I like silence, and I like to make a mess occasionally, and there’s only one bathroom. An older person would be best, but most older people are equally crabby and set in their ways, and they tend to have accumulated a house-full of stuff, for which there would be no room. What do you think – is getting an older house-mate ever a good idea? Has anyone out there actually done it, and made it work?

• My husband and I can’t even co-exist peacefully because I want to create stuff all the time and he’s afraid he’ll stumble over something drying on the floor in the middle of the night! 🙂 I’d say pet sit or something to bring in extra money – DON’T get a room mate! Unless, like Rex says, you are extremely compatible and have very similar interests, or the other person travels a LOT for their work. LOL! Maybe you could think up another income producing idea for the extra rooms. Maybe rent them out to other artists who need work space just during the daytime, or as storage space for people who don’t have enough space in their living arrangements. Just some thoughts.

5. Hi
    I am master student in sculpture at university of Lisbon (Portugal). I have made a sculpture with “Sisal rope” in size 2.5 meter in height. Since it is supposed to be outdoor sculpture I should cover it with a water and UV resistant material, which material do you suggest? Do you think Polyester Resin could be a good choice for this purpose? Please guide me in this case, this is my first experience with Sisal.
    Kind Regards
    Sana

6. Ive been working on some Zombie heads for Halloween (which sadly isnt that far away) and thought Id share. Still have to add some color (some milky yellow to the eyes, and gore for the wounds ect )
    Before summer moves along too far Ill do a few full body versions to stick on the yard. Even thinking aobut some sound this year… gotta find something to chill the blood 🙂

7. Hi all. I’m sure you think I’ve been on vacation, since I’ve been letting my generous guest posters do all the work lately. Not true, though – I’ve been working hard, even though most of my efforts have been squashed up and returned to the clay bucket. Speaking of which, my latest favorite thing is WED clay! It’s water-based clay, but it doesn’t dry out as quickly as normal clay (and can’t be fired, but I don’t have a kiln, anyway…). It’s used like modeling clay by the creature creators for movie monsters and such. I haven’t made any monsters lately, but I still enjoy using it. They sell it at the “local” pottery supply store (50 miles away) but I ordered mine online. With gas prices, and all, it seemed cheaper.

Here’s my latest effort – I’m still not sure I’ll cast this one, or if she’ll go back in the bucket like all the other practice pieces I’ve been working on.

• Now if you can make a smiley face, I would cast her. I don’t think I want this one on my wall. But the work is flawless and the detail just gorgeous. I would cast this one and donate to an art museum. The facial expression really evokes a response.

• Heh – she does look a bit peeved, doesn’t she? The expression is important to the story she belongs to, so I can’t make her happy – but I’m not sure I could live with her on my wall, either. We’ll see…

• Hi Jonni, WOW what work!!!!! I don’t have words for such a wonderful work! Well, if you don’t want to live with her on your wall, just put her near your entry door – just as a warning for housebreakers 😉

• This is absolutely stunning. I couldn’t believe it. Don’t dump it in the bucket. I know you don’t sell your “stuff,” so I’ll take it for free! And I would without a doubt put her on my wall. Period. This is fantastic. I just couldn’t quit looking at it. A friend is here from New York, and we were both gawking over it. (I’m looking for a house, so I’ve been absent. Still working on penguins – again.)

I don’t know if you have ever visited Chapter Houses in cathedrals in Europe (and probably other places) where the monks would go to read a chapter from The Bible. Around the room are faces in all manner of expressions carved into the rock. This would fit right in. Faces are happy, sad, angry, tongue out, any expression you can imagine. They are almost like gargoyles. Anyway, that is what this face reminded me of. It is exquisite.

My cousin has a grandchild who is 4 months old. He has a very expressive face. I must have 70 photographs of him. I would love to do about 9 of him, and one would be whatever this woman is. Honestly, can’t you just see Van Gogh out there burning his paintings? Don’t let her go to the bucket. Think of what she’ll be worth in 150 years!

Thanks so much, again.

• Gosh – thanks Rex. I did make a silicone mold of the angry lady, and now I’m waiting for a few more packages in the mail so I can cast her. Then I’ll try to paint her – that’s the scary part.

I’ve noticed that since Jessie and I started talking about doing a show together, I’m being far more critical of my sculptures. I try to imagine what a gallery owner would see, and whether or not a piece would look good in a posh setting. I’m still a bit uncomfortable with the whole idea. But it does push one to try to do better, and that’s a good thing.

I’ve often wondered about the gargoyles and demons and the emotion-filled faces that are found in European churches (not that I’ve ever actually been to Europe, but I do read about them…). What effect were the designers and artists trying to achieve? Humility? Fear? I do sometimes think about the time when an artist actually had a real purpose as a person who helped transfer cultural values – as opposed to now, when an artist is supposed to be totally original, or even shocking, just to get noticed. We forget what a new idea that is.

When you do all those child faces, be sure to show them to us! I’d love to see them.

• As you well know, most people couldn’t read so “lessons” were often told within the church with sculptures, paintings, etc.; however, I don’t think a person can look at the faces carved in the stone and not be aware of the sense of humor the sculptor must have had. In most places I was unable to take photographs (forbidden), or I think I would have photographed every single one. The faces tackle every emotion, but many of them are playful — reminds me of children pulling faces at each other: pushing up their noses; pulling their ears out; sticking out their tongues. They are playful and funny. The faces seem totally out of place and yet they bring a sense of fun and mischief to the viewer.

I’m working on more smaller penguins, and I see many defects in them, but I guess we can only start from where we are. You are certainly good enough, and maybe the discomfort you have will make you greater.

When I start making projects not in your book, I’ll share them. They aren’t very good, but the many people on this site have given me such inspiration. (You don’t know anyone who could move an old man across country; do you? – Just kidding.)

• I moved last year at the end of summer, when it was still hot. Black car, no air conditioner, two animals in the car, and not one shade tree in any rest stop between eastern Montana and the eastern edge of South Dakota. I put a wet white towel over my old black dog, just to keep him from overheating. And I just kept the car moving from sun up to sun down. Not fun! I hope your critters will have an easier move than mine did. But isn’t Utah just as hot as California? We’ve had really nice weather here in SD this summer, with only a few days in the upper 80s. And I haven’t watered the lawn once, and it’s still green – lots of rain this year. I don’t think that’s normal.

• That move sounds horrid. You make SD more enticing by the moment. Where I live in California the temperature fluctuates 50 degrees a day, so from freezing to 60 is not uncommon in the winter and summer is 70 to 120 during the day. There is no escape, nor is there much rain. When it gets in the 90s here, people complain that it is hot, which gives me hope (instead of saying, oh, it’s 90, isn’t that wonderful!). Loki, my min pin, is here with me. The only time we’re separated is when I go grocery shopping.

It is good to know there is an alternative to just wilting up and blowing away. Thanks.

• Oh do finish her- you never know who this may really speak to and she is so well done! I am sure you have room for many type of faces. Have you ever done a child?

• Thanks, Eileen. I did make a silicone mold last night, and just made the support mold out of plaster cloth this morning. I may do a plaster cast first, just to see if it worked, and if it did I’ll maybe use the Aqua Resin. If it actually comes out OK, I’m not sure if it could just hang on a wall as-is, or if it would need a wooden plaque behind it. She’s life-sized. We’ll see. It was great fun doing the research for this one.

• You may need a wooden plaque so she doesn’t look like she put her head through the wall- she looks just about angry enough to do that. Who is this marvelous creature that you had to research? Do you care to share?

• Good points – I’ll try to find an oval plaque that’s big enough. I think maybe I’ll keep her identity to myself for just a bit longer – but all will be revealed in time…

• Hi Jonni, judging from her headband, she must be Celtic in origin. The details are so good that a detective can get many clues. History is a passion of mine and this will have an interesting story when you do reveal it. I can’t wait. I would love to see the final cast.

• Hi jonni
              I’m posting for the first time, but have been visiting your site for a few months, as I’ve been building two very big (10′) paper mache figures for a festival here in Ireland. Nearly finished, and the deadline is next week. Thanks for your paper clay recipe. I have gone through buckets of it in the last couple of months.
              On your head sculpture, I just want to say, it’s really impressive, and will look great on a gallery wall. But I think you should hang it without a wooden plaque. A plaque might make it look like a hunting trophy! And anyway, for such a strong piece, a simple hanging style would be best. A number of these heads together will have a big impact! Keep up the good work. And thanks for your generosity in sharing your work and recipes.

• Thanks, Almha. I sure hope you’ll post a photo of your paper mache figures when they’re done – I know we would all love to see them.

• And for your question – no, I haven’t done a child yet. I’m still learning this people face business. You would not believe the number of videos and books I’ve bought over the years, and I’m just now starting to use them.

• That is amazing Jonni, and kudos for starting something new that youve wanted to do. People faces are still a no go for me. Do you have any advice for those of us who’d like to give it a shot one day?

• I have a lot of books and videos on sculpting humans, although most of them are collecting dust. 🙂 The one that I had the most fun with, though, was the Sculpta-Face video from Richard Austin. I didn’t order his whole kit, because I was worried about shipping costs, but I might go ahead and order the Skullature. The best thing about this video is that he keeps saying “be brave!” and then he just keeps moving clay around to make one expression after another. His classes look like they would be great fun to attend, too. After playing around with his techniques, I built my lady over a resin skull, which made it a lot easier to get the proportions right. I’m still considering her a “practice” piece, but I think it was a lot of fun, anyway.

• Amazing as usual Jonni! You are SO talented! I love this one! There seems to be a very interesting story behind her.

• Jonni this is so amazing! Every time I look at your various pieces I am awed to see another layer of your talent. We all have our own unique style and ability’s. You my sweet, generous lady have always inspired me and I am tremendously thankful for your blog. books, videos and guidance. You, like this beautiful sculpture are one of a kind. Again thanks for being you and your stuff is magical.

• Gosh – thanks everyone. I guess I’d better get busy and finish this lady – I’ve been spending the last two days trying to figure out how to turn the blog into a responsive site so it looks better on mobile devices. Wish me luck!

• Oh Jonni, don’t toss her. She is saying something, and she’s fabulous!
      We all have a day when our expression says it all. She’s saying it.
      Keep up the good work.

• Jonni I’ll put in my two cents along with the others. Don’t throw her away! You’ve done a fabulous job on her. I looked at the Richard Austin sculpa face website. I’m very interested in the kitm but would just like the DVD, but for the moment I’m on other projects Thank you for all you share and give to other artists. You’re a very generous lady.

• Well, I made a mold and cast it in Aqua-Resin. There are flaws that could be corrected in the model, then a new mold, etc. But I think I’ll consider her a good practice piece, and move on. It stops being fun when you start doing it over. I bought Richard’s DVD, and I think it’s totally worth it. He’s a very accomplished sculptor, but he knows how to take the scary parts out of the process of doing a human face. He doesn’t teach how to make a portrait, but character faces are more fun, I think.

• Hi Tiki,
        Thankyou!
        I hope I am posting this in the right place about the right thing?-I always seem to struggle with blogs in getting my answer under the relavent comment-maybe I should contribute more frequently and train my old brain! Anyway if your comment was about the size of my Cheetah sculpture it as approx 30cm long(12″) x 15cm high(6″) x 6.5cm wide(2&1/2″)

• Amazing work, it really looks alive, even in armature form. I couldnt tell what your armature material was, too light for re-bar (youtube is kinda fuzy on my pc) was it all-thread?

• Hi Mike,
        Many thanks for your kind comments-it is very encouraging!
        The armature is just made from simple recycled materials. old cardboard and polystyrene pitza trays, small blocks of wood at shoulder and hip points, old coathanger galvanised wire for leg support wires etc-I don’t use any commercial sculpture products apart from the occasional use of DAS-which is like Jonni Clay-just an air dry clay. Why spend money when you would be throwing that sort of stuff in the bin(trash?) anyway? Enjoy your sculpting!

• The long segments that run from the feet all the way through the body (including the tail) look thicker than wire. Ill have to look at it again on my pad, its got a little better pic.

Hope you are fine and all settled in at your new place. Its been a while since I posted anything but I thought I might share my latest video with your members-I didn’t know if it would qualify for the 3 hour project as its not technically paper mache-more air dried clay and plaster or resin casting so I posted it on daily sculptors-anyway I will let you be the judge, hope somebody somewhere learns something from it-I have learned so much from yourself and other on this site! P.S. I give you a verbal mention at the end for anybody not accessing the video through your web site-hopefully this will send you more members! Enjoy!

• Hi Bwana. Yes, of course your video “qualifies” for the three-hour challenge. May I have your permission to post your video in a guest post? If so, I’d like to get a bit more text, to tell people who you are and how they can find your other videos. If you’d like to send something for the post, just send it in an email.

I really like the way the door handles came out. I especially like the ones with the metallic look. They would be nice grouped on a wall, too.

9. Beautiful rose Nikki- How will you be displaying it?

Also, for the daily sculptor group, I have a question to put out to you. I am preparing for an art show where the pieces may be sold. I am thinking I should include a care sheet for the buyer. So far I have included that these paper mache sculptures should not be put outside and should be protected from the elements, that bathroom use would not be recommended, how to clean the sculptures, and to pick it up from the base(rather than the tail or small part)
    Can you think of anything else that should be included? Should I include my contact info? Should I offer to repair if it does get damaged? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks all.

• Hi Eileen. I like the idea of including a care sheet with the sculptures. You could even call it a “certificate of authenticity” and add the care part below your name and contact info. I would not offer to repair a piece before the person even buys it, because that makes you the person responsible for the buyer’s clumsiness and lack of care. If your contact info is on the sheet, and someone contacts you to say the piece broke when they dropped it on its tail, you could offer to fix it–for a price.

There is no reason to assume any piece of fine art is indestructible. A sculpture is not a toy made from space-age plastic, after all. (And even toys are expected to break). Look at the amount of money a museum spends to keep their paintings and sculptures from being damaged by the elements and to prevent visitors from accidentally smudging, scratching or breaking them. When people ask me if my sculptures can break I say “yes, of course.” I then suggest that the piece should be treated like any other piece of fine art, as you are describing in your comment.

• Hi Jonni- I had considered doing a certificate of authenticity, now you have talked me into it! I can include all the care instructions on that and also the buyer would be more assured it was original art and not molded from some other item.
        I agree with your comments on fine art not being indestructible- and I would hate to HAVE to be responsible for someone’s poor handling. All this stuff is so new to me. It all has to be done but I’d rather be sculpting!
        One last question. If I need to provide packing for sculptures to be going to the buyer’s home, how would you do that? Are cardboard boxes ok, with maybe a styrofoam base that it could sit on? Packaging peanuts? Or do I need to get more fancy/professional?
        Thanks for your help.

• Good questions, Eileen. I don’t do much shipping, so I’m not the right person to ask. There do seem to be some articles and YouTube videos on the subject (search for how to pack and ship sculptures). You can also have the folks at the UPS or FedEx store pack them for you, but I’m not sure how much experience they would have. They might keep the item from breaking, but the surface paint might get scratched if you don’t protect it before taking it to them. And if there are any pieces that stick out a lot, like a tail going straight out or really long ears, they will be the parts that do break, if your package gets dropped off the truck. (I had that happen when I shipped my jackrabbits to Arizona). Unfortunately, you’ll probably be responsible for replacing the item or refunding the purchaser if the item doesn’t get there unbroken, so this is a really important issue.

Does anyone have some good advice for Eileen? And Eileen, do you have a website where we can see the sculptures you’re selling?

• Hi Jonni- No, I don’t have a website as of yet. I have posted all the sculptures somewhere on your blog though. Anyway, I don’t actully have to ship the sculptures, I just have to provide packing for them to go home with any potential buyer. Hopefully the buyer will take care in transporting. What will you be doing when you have your show with your daughter? Hmm… got you thinking now, haven’t I?
            Also, I wanted to post my first baby animal doll made from your book! My daughter has a mini lop with a brown nose and I made it for her. The thing I would change is I would make the cheeks fatter to look more like your mini lop. Your directions were excellent! The only thing I did differently was the attachment of the body to the head. I just couldn’t get it to stay on with just gathering the material around the neck. I wound up making a casing and using a computer cord plastic tie thingy. It worked great! Thanks Jonnie- she will be really pleased!

• Hi Eileen. Your bunny turned out really nice! Your daughter is going to love it. Has she seen it yet?

You’re the first person to post a photo of their doll, so naturally I’m especially happy to see it. If you ever have a few extra minutes, would you mind reposting your comment on the new doll page? Many people who read the book will first find this blog through that page, since that’s the one I linked to in the book. Your doll would be very inspiring, I’m sure. And the helpful hint about the neck attachment would be welcome to many readers, too, I’m sure.

I woke up thinking about what I’ll make for the show. I finally realized that I’ve been hampered by having too many choices – after all, you can make anything if you’re willing to take the time to learn how. And “anything” is such a big idea that I’ve been somewhat paralyzed, and haven’t actually made anything at all. I did start off with the idea of “faces,” but how many faces are there in the world? Zillions! So I promised myself that I would spend the day narrowing it down to a smaller idea, and maybe by the end of the day I’ll have a place to start.

• Oops – I didn’t really answer your question about how I would pack things at my show, since I got carried away with the question of what I would actually be showing. 🙂 I’m hoping we can get a show at a gallery, and I’ll let them figure out how to wrap them for customers, if there happen to be any.

We’re going to the Brookings art fair today. It’s supposed to rain, but I hope it won’t be too bad. It’s a huge fair, and it looks like a lot of fun.

• That’s quite a compliment coming from the master! You are Jonni’s dad who had such a macho picture in her book, yes? I loved it!
              Jonni- I will be glad to repost in the doll tab- I will do it after giving the doll to my daughter so I can report her reaction. Also, are you thinking of human faces, or animal faces? Did you get any inspiration at the art fair?

• Yes, my dad was totally impressed with your doll. I showed it to him when we had our morning Skype conversation.

The art fair was packed with people, and there were hundreds of booths. I didn’t see a lot of merchandise being purchased, other than food and jewelry, but I got there early. Last night I came to the realization that my own show needs to be all about masks – both people and animal, but all masks. Now I’m getting quite excited about it. I really enjoy making masks, but I didn’t have an excuse for making more – and now I do.

By the way, where will you be selling your sculptures? Have you told us that already, and I wasn’t paying attention?

• Masks are a great idea! People are wild about them and you do them so well. Make sure you include some Mardi Gras type masks- there is a population out there that are really facinated with them.
              So far, I will be in one art show in October -4 sculptures. I did share that a while ago but you have so many people writing you that I do not expect you to remember any one person. I want to see how this one goes and then enter into other local shows. I am just having so much fun with these sculptures that I don’t really care if they sell, though I would be happy if they did. My house is sort of overrun with paper mache now so it would be nice to free up some space. But… there is always room for one more! Good luck on the masks!

• Love your bunny Eileen. Don’t know where your other posts are on Jonni’s website but I sure like this one!

• Thank you for the compliment about my rose Eileen! Right now, I’ve been keeping it on our dresser for my husband and I. Good luck with your art show!

Nikki

I posted a pic of my paper mache rose about a month ago and told you I would post a finished painted picture soon. I got a little busy and am just now uploading it. Flowers are one of my favorite things to paint and sculpt. I used your clay recipe, floral wire, masking tape and acrylic paint. Oh, and varnished it as well. Hope you like it!

Nikki

11. Took a while to get the final details done but Dolphin is finally ready to make the move to my niece who is turning 8 soon. I hope she will enjoy it as much as I did.

This is only my second big project finished and the first one I made my own pattern on. Thanks so much to Jonni for sharing all her how to’s.

12. Jonni -I’m afraid you’ve led me down the path of now return!! and thank you!

I’m in the final stages of sculpting a life-sized kangaroo – chicken-wire stuffed with newspaper, covered with duct tape, covered with medical cast plaster, covered with air-dry clay (your recipe – yes, it has been grueling.) My question is this – I would like to coat her with Paverpol for a bronze-like finish. What can I use as a final coat over the Paverpol to make her waterproof – I would like to put her in my garden, but do not want to risk two months of work. Any alternative to Paverpol to make her look bronze and waterproof? Thanks for any advise. Ginger

• Hi Ginger. Your photo didn’t come through. Please try to make is smaller, and try again. I would love to see your kangaroo.

I have never worked with Paverpol, but I thought it was waterproof all by itself? Is that not true? Lately, I’ve been playing around with the Sculpt Nouveau finishes. They recommend (for plaster and concrete, not paper mache) that you first waterproof your work with deck or concrete sealer, then use a primer, then add two or more layers of their metal coatings (metal powder mixed with an acrylic base) and finally, to coat the finished piece with one of their waterproof and UV filtering varnishes. Since I have not yet tried this on a paper mache clay sculpture for outside display, I can’t guarantee that it would permanently waterproof the work. And the varnish would need to be reapplied every couple of years.

For your paverpol question, you might want to ask the people who make it. They have a contact link on their site.

Good luck. And please try again to upload your photo so we can see how your kangaroo is turning out.

• I’m not much of a computer user – tried again to attach kangaroo photo, but don’t know how to make it smaller….
        Thanks for the info about the waterproofing – I’ll study that a bit. I bought the Paverpol as the ‘final finish’ but have some sense of trepidation as it is a water-based product and I have no experience with it either. I think I’ll paint a small experimental piece and leave it outside for some time and see what happens – in the meantime finish the ‘roo with Paverpol and keep her on the porch until I come up with a waterproof finish.
        Hope the photo works….. thanks again. Ginger

• Jonni – thanks for the waterproofing suggestions – I’ll research. In the meantime, I’m going to finish my ‘roo w/Paverpol and keep her on the porch until I find a waterproof finish; I’m liking the concrete sealer etc. ideas you provided. I’m going to make some test subjects with various finishes and leave them outside for some time to test. I have some trepidation about Paverpol because it is a water based product. I’ll try to attach the photo again, but don’t know how to make it smaller…. not much of a computer user either, but I do love to muck around! Thanks again – Ginger

• Jonni – thanks for the suggestions; I will experiment. I will try to email the photo to you as I can’t seem to make it attach here. Ginger

• Hi Ginger. I think the image uploading problem is with the way the photo is being saved by your camera. I just tested the upload function again, and it’s working. Your camera should have a way to save the photo in a smaller file size. It’s often called “for the web” or “for TV.” Check your camera’s user manual for the terms “image size.” It should tell you how to save the images in smaller sizes. A file saved for printing on paper would take a monitor up to 30 inches wide to show the whole thing, and it slows down the loading of the web page (which makes Google unhappy). That’s why the upload function requires images to be saved in smaller sizes suitable for viewing on the Internet.

13. I just found this website and then this group page. Amazing. I didn’t know there were people out there as obsessed with this art form as I am! I started a year ago and I can’t stop. But ‘getting serious’ and dealing with resistance is new to me as well and it’s tough. Paper Mâché can be a long process and I get impatient and that’s when I just have to sit down and do the work. So I will go do that right now! Thank you for this space. Very inspirational.

14. I’ve been asked to possibly do a life size piece of a woman that will eventually sit over a business. Across the street from this business are two figures that have been there for some time (not sure what their made of, but they look like fiberglass). one is of a cowboy climbing down a rope (sits over a western clothing store and the other is a modern looking man dressed in mountain climbing gear, over a sporting goods store). Heres my question. Is it possible to pull a negative from a model, then line the inside with fiberglass in order to get a good tough positive that would be tough enough (with an armature added of course) to withstand Montana weather? The two pieces across the street are pretty nice, but lack any real detail. If a fiberglass one would work, I could really get lots of detail off of the plaster negative… just not sure if itll work, ive never done it before…. just a tad nervous.

• Mike, I’m not an expert on this process, but the folks at Smooth-on and Brick in the Yard have videos showing how to make negative molds that are used to cast resin and fiberglass. And these pieces done in AquaResin are stunning (some of them are built over a wire armature instead of in a mold, but still. . . ). So, the answer is yes – you can do exactly what described. I’m not the right person to ask for help, though, since the only resin thing I ever cast was the face for my chimp.

The one thing I learned when making the chimp is that I should have followed the product suggestions which said to use chopped fibers instead of the fiberglass mat. The fibers are easier to use and they make a stronger finished product. The nice thing about the AquaResin is that it isn’t as toxic as most resins.

It sounds like you have a great project to work on, and a lot of people will see it. Do be sure to let us see it when it’s done.

15. Jonni, can’t you make her do a post of making feathers? lol.

I am working on a unicorn for a 7-year-old. I painted it white, then silver, then a white wash. I just knew it should be pink, but everyone said no. So today I talked with her and she wants it pink with gold mane and tail, with pink flowers in the mane. One thing I love about kids is they know what they want if the adults stay home. So now I need to figure out a way to add flowers to the mane and one of the legs is a little wobbly. Guess I’ll try a little clay over the painted unicorn and see what happens. Any suggestions?

• Rex, I can’t even make myself do anything. 🙂

I like the idea of a transparent pink glaze over the silver. Of course, I have no idea if it would work, but that would be pretty nice, wouldn’t it? The pm clay will probably stick to the paint. However, acrylic paint is really plastic, so it may not stick very well. Is there any way to scrape just a bit of the paint off in those spots? Does the leg need a better supporting armature inside?

16. I am excited to have found all of you.
    Jonni, I just got my first book from amazon.
    I wake up everyday looking forward to getting to my craft room.
    I am uploading a picture of a puppy I intend to put wheels on and a collar and leash
    for my 16mo. old grandson Cian.
    Again thanks so much.
    Dottie

• Hi Dottie. Your photo didn’t come through. That’s usually caused by having a file size that’s too big. Could you edit the photo and try again? I would love to see it!

• Julie, these sculptures are absolutely wonderful! Would you be interested in writing a guest post to show how you did it, including the recipe you used for the cement? (I assume you used white Portland cement and sand, but maybe you used some acrylic additives too?) In a guest post, all the photos would appear together, and more people would get to see them. If you’re interested, you can use the form I just built for our 3-Hour Paper Mache Challenge, even though I know these took way longer than three hours to complete. The form will still work, anyway. 🙂

• Joni, thank you for your kind words. I would be thrilled to do a guest post. I’ve kept photos to show the steps I took to put them together. I’m a sculptor and never had the tools to do large sculptures without having to go through the bronzing process to complete the figure. Bronzing was way to expensive but thanks to your process I can now do large art!