This is a downloadable PDF Pattern with full illustrated instructions: You’ll be able to download your pattern right after you order. You’ll also receive an email with the download link, and a separate receipt. The emails may take a few minutes to arrive. If you don’t see them, be sure to check your spam or promotions folder.
Create your cat mask with the cardboard from two cereal boxes. Tape the pieces together, and then cover it with either paper strips and paste or a very thin layer of Jonni’s paper mache clay recipe (you can find it in the Art Library on this site). When you use one layer of paper mache on both the inside and outside of this mask, it will be surprisingly strong, but still very light.
Then add some acrylic paint to turn it into a truly one-of-a-kind work of art, by using your favorite kitty as a model.
Finished size: About 9.5 inches (24 cm) high, 9 inches (23 cm) wide and 9.5 inches (24 cm) deep if built as a helmet-style mask, or 3” deep (8 cm) if built as a wall display mask.
To make the cat mask you will need:
- Copy paper or full-sheet labels
- Glue stick if you print your pattern on copy paper
- Cardboard from 2 standard-sized cereal boxes*
- Knife or sharp scissors for cutting cardboard
- Tape, either clear plastic tape or masking tape
- Paper strips and paste or paper mache clay**
- Acrylic gesso or spray primer
- Drywall joint compound (optional – for smoothing paper strips and paste before painting – see video above)
- Acrylic paint and matte varnish
Do you have a question or need help with your pattern?
I love questions!
There are two ways to contact me:
The fastest way to get an answer is to leave a comment on this page. I read all comments and answer them as soon as I can, usually within a few hours. Some of my readers might also chime in to help – we have a very supportive community here on this site.
If you prefer to reach me privately, you can send me an email. I’ll try to respond as quickly as I can, but if you don’t hear back from me within 24 hours, assume the cyberspace gremlins ate your email and try again.