I made the short video in this post to say “Happy New Year,” and to show off the cast paper mache wall art I worked on this week. I’m calling it The Lodge Brother. (I thought it sounded better than Old Geezer With a Bear on His Head.) 🙂
As I mentioned in the video, I’m having a bit of trouble with the plaster molds. When I pull the cast paper mache (Li Qua Che) out of the molds, thin details break off so I can only use them once. If you have any ideas that might keep that from happening in the future, please let me know.
The first time I painted this guy, I used the bronze coating that I previously used on the Ballarina Bunny. I hated it, so I repainted the whole thing. I like it much better now.
I’m really happy with the bronze hanger I used on this piece. They’re made to be pounded into a wood frame, but they also work when pressed into wet paper mache clay. I’ve added hangers with hot glue before, but this was the first time I embedded one directly into the paper mache clay. I was worried about the clay possibly shrinking and making the hanger too loose, but I think it actually worked in the opposite way, making it hold even tighter as the clay dried. Now I have a whole package of them, so I have to make 99 more wall sculptures.
Be sure to let us know what you’ve been working on, if you weren’t too busy with holiday festivities or shoveling snow. We’d all love to see what you’ve been up to.