Patterns for the Baby Unicorn and Mini-Bunny
Order both patterns and save $5.
This unicorn and bunny set will be even more special because you made it yourself.
To make this set you’ll transfer the pattern onto cardboard for the armatures. Then fill out the rounded shapes with crumpled foil and hot glue, following the detailed instructions. Finish with a thin layer of Apoxie Sculpt.
Would you rather make just one? Click here for the Baby Unicorn Pattern, and click here for the Mini-Bunny. You’ll also find videos on those pages showing you how the sculptures are made and how to make those big black eyes on your bunny.
The finished size of the unicorn is about 11.5” (29.2 cm) high. The bunny is about 4.5” (11.5 cm) high.
If you’re new to making sculptures with patterns, start with the bunny. The little fellow goes together quickly with the cardboard pattern inside. Add roundness to your form with crumpled aluminum foil held on with hot glue, and then give the bunny a skin of Apoxie Sculpt (that’s what I used) or air dry clay. (There’s a recipe for air dry clay in the Paper Mache Art Library).
After making your bunny you’ll have all the skills you need to make the unicorn, too. I painted both the unicorn and the bunny with chalk paint (I bought it at Walmart in the craft department) because it gives them a nice soft coat.
To make these sculptures you will need:
- A small piece of corrugated cardboard, and some light card stock cut from a cereal box
- Glue stick
- A printer
- Bendable wire. Wire from a coat hanger would work well.
- Aluminum foil
- Glue gun and protective thermal thimbles to protect your fingers from the hot glue.
- Small piece of tape
- Latex or Nitrile gloves if you’re using the Apoxie Sculpt.
- Sculpting tools (or find anything that works that you already have around the house.)
- One pound of Apoxie Sculpt or a batch of my air dry clay recipe
- Acrylic Paint (I used Waverly chalk paint from Walmart, but you can use any acrylic paint.) Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid (optional).
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Matte acrylic varnish