Your Ideas Needed for My Next Paper Mache Project

I started a new mask pattern (a tiger headdress mask) but I want to do another Halloween mask before the end of October. I’d love to hear your ideas for the mask you’d like me to make next. Silly? Weird? Creepy? Something else entirely?

Give me your ideas in the comments below, and I’ll pick the one that would be the most fun for me to make.

And please give me some ideas for my silly animal caricature sculptures, too. Animals and people are quite often very much alike – so what kind of people would pair up well with your favorite animals? Or what character do they look like, from a famous book or classic movie? πŸ˜€

I can’t wait to see what ideas you think up!

Even though I won’t be able to do them all, the ideas themselves will be a lot of fun. And if you see one that I don’t have time for, be sure to do it yourself – and then show it off on the Daily Sculptors page.

118 thoughts on “Your Ideas Needed for My Next Paper Mache Project”

• Ooh – now that you mention it, a sculpture of a platypus would be really fun to do. They’re such strange, wonderful creatures! But a helmet-style mask would be great, too, with the bill hanging over the eyes like the brim of a baseball cap. Thanks for the idea! πŸ™‚

1. Im a horror movie fan, a Predator mask would be awesome but hard I think, been wanting a predator mask ever since I seen the movie lol

2. I think a blue-footed booby in a swimming suit would be a fun silly project. Blue-footed booby birds are fun and silly on their own, but with a swimsuit, a bikini style would be fun…but whatever you come up with, we’ll all enjoy.

Thank you, Joni!!!

• Hi! I didn’t really know where to place my request. I am in a pickle and need your help. My friend wants to have a paper mache birthday party (we are all around 50). I am the “artist” of the group and was asked to hold a “class” for us to all make LIPS out of paper mache at the party. It is a two day event (she lives in the sticks), since all five of us must travel and this is the bonding part of the gathering.
      I have not worked with paper mache, and never made lips from any material. I googled piΓ±atas, decoupage and paper mache and NO ONE has step by step what to do.
      I starting randomly trying things…wire, aluminum foil, card board…to-date I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING……. The party is next week Friday(Aug. 28) and I really need directive. PLEASE HELP ME.

3. I also fostered a baby nutria from a baby that fit into my sweatshirt pocket to its release at about 30 lbs. Newt was full of himself, and quite affectionate as a baby. I would take him down to a small pond to let him swim in a larger pool. I sat by the edge with a book, but he preferred to sit with me. As we sat there, one of the cows in that pasture came crashing through the brush behind me. Newt shot from my side into the water and wouldn’t come out until the cows had left. As he got larger, I would take him to the neighboring Nature Center after hours to let him become more comfortable in the neighboring lake. Again, I’d read while he explored and when I got up to leave, I wouldn’t call him, but he was watching me and would follow me to the car. After a few weeks, one day he did not follow, so I left without him. Early the next morning, I returned to check on him. I found him at the entrance to the parking area, some distance from the boardwalk we’d been on. I opened the door and he climbed into the car, crossing my lap to get to the passenger side. When we got home, he went back to his pen as if he was angry or disappointed in me. The next evening, I went out and said “let’s go for a walk”, my usual call. He refused to respond, to follow, to acknowledge me at all. Clearly he was unhappy. The next day, he did follow, but he came back with me every evening for the next few days. Finally, he did not come back to me as I left, and as I checked each morning, he never came back. I guess he found a new friend. Nutria look like very large rats, as they are rodents, as are beavers. Newt was curious and bold and extremely confident. He knew how to hold me responsible and punish me when I failed him. He showed no remose for killing one of my ducks, but showed his affection easily.

• What an interesting story! We don’t have any Nutrias here, but we do have muskrats. They’re a lot of fun to watch when they build their beaver-like huts in the shallow water near the river.

4. I used to do wildlife rescue and had a friend who specialized in vultures. I used to help her in her garden where we were frequently visited by 2 of her imprinted buzzards who lived free but still saw her as “Mama”. As I planted seedlings, following close behind was one of these large birds, plucking them out again. On my first day, as I parked my car, she warned me to remove my windshield wipers, as they would peel them off like licorice sticks. They were curious, particularly about “stringy” things, like shoe laces. I saw them as haughty and naughty but not mean or demeaning. While many see them as ugly and dirty, I saw them as confident in their curiosity and totally forgiving of those who could not see the endearing quality they presented. Their bald pate is by design to help keep the head free of detritus they’d otherwise collect. There was a touch of pride, if not arrogance, in their mannerisms, as if they knew just how important their job in this world really is, even if people didn’t recognize that fact.

• A vulture mask would be interesting – it would also make a great sculpture for the home – but only for those who feel comfortable around them, as you do. πŸ™‚

5. Hiya Jonni!
    I have a couple ideas for ya!
    For Halloween I thought of a silly, kinda pudgy face of a goofy grinning gargoyle or a toothy troll. They’d be a sort of ugly-cute that would make you want to pinch their cheeks but not invite them for tea.

For a personified animal I thought of a giraffe librarian (or is it a librarian giraffe?) holding a book, or stack of books, while wearing a cardigan sweater embellished with a bird brooch and a pair of reading glasses at the end of her nose that have a chain attached for hanging around her neck.

Whatever you decide on making, I can’t wait to see it!

• A gargoyle or troll would really be fun to make. And the giraffe librarian would be a great project. You’ve described it perfectly – I can already see it done. Thanks for the ideas! πŸ™‚

6. A hinged moving (like the ones with the lower jaw?) raven mask would be really cool or what about a vintage looking Halloween mask, based off decorations from the 1930’s? Like maybe a black cat mask with the Disney styled toon eyes?? Both of those would be really cool!

• I agree – they would both be great masks. I’ve never made one with a moving jaw, but I’m sure there are instructions online – somewhere… Thanks for the ideas! πŸ™‚

7. I’d love a Jack-o-lantern mask for Halloween – not that we really β€œdo” Halloween in Australia, but we do get a few bands of children seeking treats – it would be fun to answer the door wearing such as mask.

• I’ve never done a self-portrait – it sounds kind of scary… Not Halloween scary, but “I’m not sure I can do that” kind of scary. I will keep it in mind, though – thanks for the idea. πŸ™‚

8. Hi Jonni, what a lovely thought, to ask for our ideas!
    I would love to see a wendigo mask for Halloween, (a wendigo is a mythological creature or evil spirit from the folklore of the indigenous people of North America/Canada).
    I think of a skull which is a mixture of wolf and deer, with big fangs, horns or antlers. I will make it and wear it at the next fantasy event.
    (I already tried to make one, as a head wear, but it wasn’t a success, the horns were too heavy, the skull kept falling from my head.)
    Where can I drop a picture of it?

9. I saw a video of a garden in the UK and the gardener had a scarecrow which appeared to have a pm head that was a caricature of the gardener and I think a scarecrow head would make a good mask. Or maybe an alien or a planet. But my next project may be a scarecrow head/mask/wall hanging/garden ornament. I have not made anything in a couple of years and I feel the stirring of excitement at the thought of starting one.

10. How about a mischievous elf? I’m reworking My puppet – “LeCresh Schtick” & could send photos of his previous iterations!