Made by Rex Winn
I apologize for taking so long getting back to this. I wanted to show a few photos of our experiments with watercolor (not so much the pumpkin part!).
The reason I had an interest in watercolors on paper mache is I have painted with watercolors for 40 years. Any comments will be welcomed.
Blue and Yellow Pumpkins (same sculpture)
I painted the blue pumpkin, which began as yellow. I was showing Shellie my collection of pumpkins, and she said, “You know there are blue pumpkins.” Then a neighbor showed me one. I had to give it a try. I put no sealer on the yellow pumpkin, but when I decided to paint it blue, I wiped off as much as I could and then covered it with watercolor ground. When that was dry, I painted it in about fifteen minutes using cerulean, mixed in here and there a little cadmium red, cadmium yellow, and burnt sienna. The mix brightened and dulled the blue a little. I kept everything as light as I could get it. This was my favorite pumpkin ever.
This pumpkin was painted by Shellie. She did not use a sealer. She had no problem with the paints running. Every layer was very dry before quickly adding another layer.
Ben painted this pumpkin (used in Watercolor Pumpkin – Part I). He tried the wet-in-wet approach, but the colors ran (blame gravity!) leaving the top lighter than the bottom. He settled on using a dry brush technique.
I liked all three pumpkins and thank my friends for joining me in this little experiment.