In this video I start making one of the Three Wise Men from the Christmas story.
This is a mixed-media sculpture, using Super Sculpey for the head (and maybe the turban), my Silky-Smooth Air Dry Clay recipe for the clothes, and probably Magic Sculpt for his feet and ankles to make him stand up nice and straight on his wooden base.
If you’d like to see more figure sculpting videos in the future, be sure to let me know in the comments below. And I promise I’ll try to get more of the next video in focus – that’s always a big challenge for me when working on something this small.
I mentioned a few links in the video, and here they are:
- Air Dry Clay recipe.
- Patrick Keith’s armature diagrams.
- Debbie Court’s figure sculpting tutorial.
- Ace of Clay’s YT channel
- Josh Foreman’s portrait tutorials
- The painting I’m using as a model for the Wise Man’s head.
- The drawings I’m using as a model for his clothes.
- Link to Super Sculpey on Amazon.com (aff. link).
- Link to Magic Sculpt on Amazon.com (aff. link).
If you’re curious about the critters behind me in the video, you can find patterns for them here.
If you decide to make the Three Wise Men or any other Christmas-themed sculpture, I really hope you’ll show it off on the Daily Sculptors page. We would love to see it!