Made by Jon Keller
This is a mixed media project . I used only materials that I had on hand ( keeping in mind that as an artist I have a lot of different things on hand ). Two of the most important components , the driver and the dog, are both made from brown paper bag paper mache . The fenders are also made from paper mache .
- The wheels have cardboard strips ( cut from a cereal box ) for the rims . Thin dowels are used for the spokes with the centers cut from wood. The tires are made from flexible hair curlers ( painted black ).
- I needed to make special jigs to help me construct the wheels.
- The motorcycle frame is constructed using chopsticks.
- The seat is a piece of shaped rubber floor tile upholstered with leather.
- The springs under the seat are coiled paper clips.
- The engine block is a piece of a wooden broomstick and the cylinder head is made by alternating two different sizes of wooden discs.
- The carburetor is made from parts of plastic writing pens.
- The exhaust pipe ( which is not shown well in the images ) is made from a clothing hanger and a Sharpie.
- The gas tank is carved from wood.
- Anything “glass” ( windshield , goggles , etc ) is made from plastic soda bottles.
- The headlamp is a plastic bottle cap and a carved piece of wood.
- The dog is an aluminum foil armature covered with paper mache .
- The driver is a wire armature covered with paper mache. His hands are made from Sculpey and the gauntlets on his gloves are shaped cardboard covered with leather.
- There are some pieces of balsa wood , leather , and wire ( paper clips ) used in various places.
- The sidecar was made primarily from wooden coffee stirrers.
- Everything was painted with acrylic paint , with silver Rub n Buff used on the engine.
- The driver and the dog were varnished with matte varnish and the motorcycle and sidecar were varnished with high gloss polyurethane .
The project was an evolution . When I started I had no idea how I was going to make this . I did draw some plans and spent many hours figuring out how to create this project . The reference that I used for the motorcycle were internet pictures of a 1937 BMW R-20 motorcycle. For the sidecar I just looked at endless images of sidecars and then designed my own .