What is “Joint Compound” Called in Your Country?

You may be able to help out our growing international online artist community. We need to know what joint compound is called in other countries.

The home-made paper mache clay recipe I created (recipe here) is made with premixed drywall joint compound and Elmer’s Glue-All® as the main ingredients, along with toilet paper and linseed oil.

At least, that’s what they’re called at my local hardware store, here in Oregon.

But joint compound is called something else in other countries, and the Elmer’s brand isn’t available at all in some places. So – I’m hoping you can help out your fellow artists and craftpeople wherever you may live, and help me put together a list of product names for locally available materials that will work to make paper mache clay.

On another note, the DAP brand drywall joint compound will not work in the paper mache clay recipe. An ingredient in their formula causes the mixture of glue and joint compound to get rubbery or stiff. I like the ProForm joint compound that is sold in the paint department at Walmart.

So far, the translations we have for the joint compound are:

  • Drywall joint compound” in the United States (guys in the construction industry call it “mud”)
  • Drywall filler” in Canada
  • Joint filler” in the UK
  • Fugenspachtel” in Germany
  • Joint finish” in Australia
  • Voegenmiddel” in Dutch, according to one reader – but Elizabeth says the correct translation of joint compound in Dutch is gipsplaatvuller.
  • In India I believe it’s called “wall putty
  • In Guatemala joint compound is known as Pasta de Tablayesero
  • In Portugal, joint compound is known as ” Massa de Juntas”. Em Portugal é massa de juntas, a massa que é utilizada para unir placas de Pladur. Vende-se/sells at Leroy Merlin and AKI.

The product is normally used to fill in the cracks between two pieces of drywall (also called wallboard, sheetrock or plasterboard) when new walls are built or old ones are repaired. The primary ingredient in join compound (in the US) is calcium carbonate. Pure calcium carbonate in dry powder form is sold in art stores as “powdered marble.” But we don’t want the powdered stuff, we want the kind of joint compound that is already mixed up and ready to use. It’s sold in a plastic tub, usually one or five gallons. In the UK the primary ingredient is another form of calcium called” gypsum,” which seems to work just as well.

Just a bit of history–the recipe for paper mache clay happened because I started using a recipe for home-made gesso, which uses Elmer’s Glue-All and powdered marble. The gesso dries very hard, but you can still sand it perfectly smooth. I decided to see what happens when you use a cheaper form of calcium carbonate (the joint compound) and add fine paper (toilet paper) and linseed or mineral oil. Voila–paper mache clay was born, a new sculptural medium that’s cheap to make and easy to use.

Just in case you’re wondering, the paper mache clay can be used on any of my animal sculpture and mask patterns.

The glue can also be difficult to find. Elmer’s Glue-All makes wonderful paper mache clay. But Elmer’s Carpenters glue doesn’t work, and their ‘school” brand doesn’t work either.

Laura from Canada tried Lepage White Glue and it did work. What you’re looking for is a PVA glue —but do buy the smallest container you can find and experiment to make sure your brand will work.

Just so you know why it’s important–if you use the “wrong”  glue, the clay looks curdled or dry or flakey, and you can’t use it.

So–can you help us out? Know anyone in the construction or remodeling industry in your country who might be able to come up with the local name for “joint compound?” Your help will be much appreciated by frustrated sculptors everywhere. 🙂

556 thoughts on “What is “Joint Compound” Called in Your Country?”

  1. In estonian it’s probably “pahtel”, though there are different varietis and also ready-mixed vatiants of this. I assume “kipspahtel” is the on thay would work here.

  2. In Finland we have “saumatasoite” (or “fogspackel” in Swedish).

    It is a different chemical composition though – I checked all the randa I could find, and they were all made using 1,2-benzisothiazol-3(2H)-one. I bought a bucket of Tikkurila Presto J and it worked perfectly!

  3. In New Zealand the main brand of plasterboard is Gibraltar board, usually called Gib board (pronounced jib board) and the filler is called Gib stop, or gib plus, I also have some pro-mix which I think is the same or similar.

    • Thanks, Irina. Your Russian letters weren’t copied by the blog’s comment system, so I took the liberty of taking screenshot of the word I think you tried to share. If Google translate gave me the wrong word, please let me know. joint compound in Russian

  4. Hello,

    The correct Dutch word for joint compound is: voegenvuller.
    There are different kinds available: The one’s you use (powder/ allready mixed) with paper or fiber joint and more recently the ones that you can use without paper or fiber, because they have some kind of reinforcement in the powder / mix.

  5. Good morning and thank you for your generosity in sharing your knowledge.
    My doubt is that in Argentina there are two products. One is a paste called “Enduido” that is used to cover cracks in walls. And the other is a powder, mixed with water, used to fill the joints of kitchen and bathroom tiles called “pastina”, Klaukol is a very good one.
    I tried with “Enduido” and it did not achieve the desired texture so I added powdered plaster and it had an acceptable but not optimal result. Today I’m going to make your recipe with “pastina” and see what the result is. I will write to tell you. Thanks again and greetings from Buenos Aires.

  6. Magyarul gipszkarton hézagoló glett, el?kevert. A Rigips-nek van pl.
    Sok éve használom Joni receptjét száraz glettgipsszel, nekem tökéletesen m?ködik.
    In Hungarian, gypsum plasterboard grout, premixed. Rigips has e.g.
    I’ve been using Joni’s recipe with dry plaster for many years, it works perfectly for me. Jonni thank you very much for these recipes, I have been following you on youtube for a long time.

  7. Bonjour, je suis en France j’ai essayer votre recette en utilisant de la COLLE BLANCHE à bois/papier, la marque la moins cher et en pot de 1kg~.
    Et avec de l’ ENDUIT de lissage, marque “tout pret” cela fonction bien. Après ,cela fait 4-6mois que j’en fais pour mes créations de meubles en carton (2ans).
    Je pense bien que c’est de l’enduit le nom qui s’en approche.
    Merci pour votre site.

  8. In Czech it’s ‘spárovací tmel pro sádrokartonové desky’.
    The German brand Knauff Uniflott is available in professional and DIY shops.
    It also has ‘Spezial-Fugenspachtelmasse’ and ‘Special Joint Filler’ written on it, as well as 26 other languages, so if you want me to scan you a copy of the label, you’ll have every European language west of the Urals sorted!

  9. In Australia we also have Gyprock another product for joint finishing – but I have found another product called ‘No more gaps’ by Shelley’s. Can be purchased at Bunnings and Mitre 10.

          • Just on it’s own as the top finish coat. Before a couple of coats of ‘3 in 1’ waterbased white paint. Then then a waterbased gold. The based material has to be stable first before the Plaster Mate, I did use my own compound based on the ones on this website. Plaster Mate has ‘vinyl’ in it so has a ‘flexibility’ to it as well. Have a look on the daily sculptors. I used to get the Mens Shed making wooden fish but that got expensive as they wanted ‘donations’ – more of a fee actually. So I’ve been trying different options.

            • It doesn’t appear to be available in the US – at least I couldn’t find it online. Do you mind telling us where you live? This might be a great alternative for folks who can’t find the ingredients for one of my recipes, or who would just prefer to have something already made.

  10. Hi Jonni,

    I live in South Africa in Johannesburg. It seems the Joint Compound is called “RhinoGlide” made by Gyproc and this is available at “Builders Warehouse” & “Builders Express” which is a store found all over South Africa, possibly most hardware stores as well. Seems it comes in a 10kg bag.
    I hope this has been useful.
    Thank you for all the great information and posts you have given us – I have yet to make something but I love working with Paper Mache.

  11. In Mexico it is called “Resanador para tablaroca”

    Drywall = Paneles de yeso, placas de yeso, or more common “tablaroca”.
    Joint = Juntas, is when you put the ‘mud’ on the edges of two drywall to fill in and then put the tape on. Are the white unions that we see in all the drywall.
    Compound = Resanador.

  12. English vs Spanish
    Drywall = Pladur
    Joint = Juntas
    Compound = Pasta
    Premixed = Lista al uso (lit. ready to use) or Lista para usar (just the same)

    So, you’d be looking for something like:
    >> Pasta para juntas de pladur, lista al uso

  13. In Pakistan we have German white glue.can this be used instead of Elmers glue-all for paper mache?all the rest of ingredients are available here .

    • Probably – but I can’t try it to find out. Most white glue is made with PVA, and that’s what you need, but there might be some white glue products in the world that aren’t PVA glue.. Do they have a small container you can use to make sure it works?


Leave a Comment