We were just talking about Steve and his sculptures a few days ago – and just this morning he sent in more photos of his latest creations. I’ll let him tell you about them down below the images.
Hello Jonni and all,
It’s been a few months since I posted…basically because I’ve been experimenting with different recipes and techniques, and every sculpt I make has been a different process. Hopefully the links above will show a few new pics.
The fish and devil were basically traditional paper strips over balloon shapes, with your paperclay(plus some air-dry clay) added only on facial details. I no longer use the paperstrips for anything but the bottom of my bases.
I made the monkey after looking at your rubber mold tutorial(was impressed with the detail you got on your ferret and walrus)….making the monkey face with clay and then casting paperclay plus Plaster of Paris added in a rubber mold taken from the clay sculpt.
I also tried some harder plasters, such as Hydrostone, which made them considerably stronger and requiring less plaster. The molds are nice to make multiple copies, but even for single sculptures I will continue to model in clay and cast molds because I like the detail it offers, and for me modeling clay is so much easier. I keep the casting thin, then after it dries I smear a layer of your regular paperclay on the inside for added strength. I only cast certain parts, not the whole thing….for example on the cattle drive piece I cast the cows heads and bodies separately, then connected legs and necks individually for posing and making each one an individual personality.
The cowboy was cast in three pieces…the cowboy’s head, cowboy body and horse body as one piece, and the horse’s head. Legs were added with paperclay over wire armatures.
Besides wire I’m also using rigid foam a lot in my armatures.
Jonni you mentioned somewhere you were experimenting with pottery clay that is not air-dry…I have doubts about how strong that will be. Maybe the glue will hold it together. My experience with non-airdry pottery clay is that it’s very fragile until fired in a kiln. With any clay added to paperclay you should be careful to allow it room to shrink as it dries(it would certainly crumble under just a wire armature, methinks).
Other quick notes…I definitely recommend folks find an old blender at a thrift shop to shred the toilet paper in water, then squeeze the water out and use a hand mixer for the paperclay mixture. Makes it infinitely easier, faster, and non-lumpy. Also get a small heater fan to speed up drying(mine cost about 12 bucks at Target. Set at low heat and put in a small room or closet…not only dries stuff superfast but smells like baking bread. yum!
Let me thank you again for this informative site…I have learned so much here. I’m also using your website creation tutorial to build a site to display my stuff (hopefully operational in a few days).
Hope this wasn’t too rambling. Happy Mache-ing everyone!