My WED clay model of a baby bonobo is almost done.
I’ll make a few corrections before the next video (that nose really is crooked!) and then I’ll finish him so I can display the final version on my bathroom wall. I just did some major work in my little bathroom, and this cheerful little fellow is my way to celebrate getting it done. (I should have done the work six years ago, but better late than never, right? )
BTW, my dad thinks it’s a kind of rude to put a grinning ape in the bathroom. Is that a guy thing? 😄
If I make the final sculpture of the grinning bonobo the same way the Gorilla mask was made, I won’t put any fine details into the clay model of the baby bonobo. It would just be covered up by the plaster cloth and paper mache that goes on top of the clay.
On the other hand, if I make a silicone mold instead, I’ll go ahead and add the teeth and other details in the clay itself, because the details will be captured in the casting.
Let me know how you’d like to see me finish the sculpture in the comment section below. I’ll read your comments and make my decision before I post the next video.
Links I mentioned in the video:
- Chimpanzee culture article where I found the photo I used for my baby bonobo sculpture.
- Gorilla Mask video.
- Monster Lab WED Clay demo video
- WED Clay on Amazon.com
- How to Make Patterns for Animal Sculptures
- My book, Make Animal Sculptures with Paper Mache Clay
- Human face-sculpting form (I only have one for humans, no chimpanzee 😄 ) .
- How to make a silicone mold.
- Link to the Fast Faces book mentioned in the mold video.
- Share your paper mache sculptures and masks on my blog:
- You can find patterns for the wall sculptures and masks behind me in the video here.
Remember to tell me…
… how you would like to see me finish this baby bonobo sculpture. They ways I’ve thought of so far are:
- Making it with plaster cloth and paper mache, like the gorilla, or
- Making a mold and then casting it with something (haven’t thought of that part yet).
Which one would you vote for?
And if you have another idea that might be more fun, I’d love to know about it. 😄