Update: After the first rain, the brim on the scarecrow’s hat was flexible, so it absorbed water. It wasn’t sticky, like it was before the clay dried, but it wasn’t solid, either. At this point, I recommend that you read up on the two experiments shown on this site that did actually work: Julie’s mountain lion, made with Quickwall cement over paper mache clay, and Jackie’s Goddess, made with thin set tile mortar over paper mache clay.
The paper mache clay is on the scarecrow. When he’s dry all the way through, I’ll use a garden sprayer to add the Trojan Masonry and Concrete Sealer – and then we’ll see what happens.
As I mention in the video, this fellow got two coats of paper mache clay, to make sure all of the armature and the masking tape was covered with about 1/4″ of the pm clay. That should make him plenty strong enough. He’s still very light, because the arms and legs are hollow and the body and head are just plastic bags stuffed with lightly crumpled paper. I wish the dragon armature had been made this way – it would be so much easier to move it around.
One thing I forgot to mention in the video – the paper mache won’t actually stick to the aluminum mesh that I used for the lower part of the scarecrow’s jacket and the jacket cuffs. You have to push the wet clay right down into the holes, which makes the clay squish around the wires to hold it tight. If it’s done this way, the clay and mesh together are very strong when the clay is dry.
I didn’t pay much attention to details, and I didn’t try to smooth out the pm clay or worry about getting it “right.” If the sealer works, I’ll try to make the next one look a bit more professional.