Pet Memorial Stone with Stained Glass and Cement

pet memorial stoneI needed to make a memorial stone for my kitty, who passed away last month. If you’ve seen any of my other videos, you met my kitty. She always came running as soon as she heard me talking to the camera.

When he heard that I was making a memorial stone, our friend Rex Winn sent me those beautiful stained glass letters. That was awfully sweet of him. Thank you, Rex!

Get a fast start on your next paper mache project or hand-made gift with Jonni’s easy downloadable patterns for masks, animal sculptures and faux trophy mounts. The patterns help you create a beautiful work of art, even if you’ve never sculpted anything before.

I’m hoping we can talk Rex in to posting some photos of his own stained glass mosaics in the comment section down below so you can see how the letters might have looked if I actually knew what I was doing. Even though I didn’t follow his excellent instructions (I did warn him that I’m not good at following directions!) I still really like the way the stone came out. The only thing I would do differently is to leave a solid color behind the letters, because that would make them stand out better.

I’m especially happy with the way the drawing of the kitty looked after being scratched into the wet Quickwall, and the addition of the catmint sprig. My kitty really liked to sleep under the catmint. By the way, the Quikwall is not available in all states. I don’t know why not, but that’s just how it is. If you want to try it but you can’t find it at your local big-box store, they might be willing to order some for you. I bought mine for about $15.00 for a 50 pound bag, and I only needed a small amount for this project.

Babette, by Clare Turlay Newberry
Babette, by Clare Turlay Newberry

The model for my drawing was a pencil sketch I found in the book Drawing a Cat by Clare Turlay Newberry. Ms. Newberry doesn’t show us how to draw a cat, but her drawings are beautiful, and I used this one as an inspiration for my own drawing. It looks very much like my kitty did when she was very young. Her mother was a mitted seal-point Ragdoll cat, and her father was a Siamese. I simplified the drawing a great deal because I would be working with wet cement instead of drawing on paper.

After the stone has been sealed, I’ll put it under the Black Ice plum tree I bought for my kitty. Planting a new tree is a tradition I started quite a few years back to help me honor pets who are no longer with me. I think the stone will be especially nice with the moonlight reflecting off the glass.

For my next project, I’m going to be doing some experiments with outdoor sculptures. As soon as I find a technique I really like, probably using materials other than concrete (but not paper mache, either), I’ll be posting some more videos. Stay tuned …

46 thoughts on “Pet Memorial Stone with Stained Glass and Cement”

1. Jonni, I am sorry to learn your dear cat died….I loved hearing her talking in
    the background of your videos. Each cat is unique and you will remember her always.

Ginger L.

2. Jonni, love your memorial stone. I use to love watching all the mischief that your kitty would put you through. They do really become family.
    Will be looking to see your new projects.
    Artis Corwin

3. Oh Jonni, I’m so sorry. Kitty was such a character. My condolences to you and the rest of your family (be they human, furred or feathered). I think your ‘family’ here know what you are going through. You are in our thoughts & prayers. Take care.

4. So sorry for the loss of your lovely kitty. Your memorial to her turned out beautifully! It often helps to do something special like that. I am looking forward to seeing more of your outdoor sculpture videos. Take care!

• Thanks, Karen. I’m getting excited about doing another outdoor sculpture, and I’ve ordered some material that I think I’ll enjoy using. Now I’m trying to decide how many sculptures I can get away with outside – if I could afford more plants, I could sneak them in here and there, but the lawn is still rather bare. Of course, I probably shouldn’t be worrying about that until I know the new material actually works the way I want it to. 🙂

5. You did a beautiful job with the memorial; what a lovely way to remember such a beautiful girl. Having loved and lost many myself, I take comfort in knowing each of my kitties had the best possible life I could give them. My condolences.

• Thanks, Lisa. The cat in your photo reminds me of a kitty I lived with many years ago. She was really great – we lived in the country at the time, so she spent a lot of time outside. When she heard me start the engine on my car, she jumped onto the hood and begged to go for a ride, just like a dog. She was one of the special ones – but they leave us way too soon …

6. Jonni,

So sorry to hear about the loss of Kitty. I don’t like to think that my own kitty, Excalibur, will pass anytime soon but he’s already 15 yrs young so I try to appreciate each day we have together. I really like this project which I will be using for our dog, Bear, that passed last year. Hope you decide to let another kitty adopt you in the future.
    Your friend,
    Jodi

• Thanks, Jodi. My dog is 16, but he’s still active and happy, and he’s been a special friend to me. Thinking ahead, though, is always hard. If you make a stone for Bear, I hope you’ll let us see how it turned out.

7. Dear Jonni, So sorry for your loss of that darling Kitty. I will miss seeing and hearing her in your videos for all these years. I know the heartache you are feeling and I also feel very sad for your loss.

8. I am so sorry to hear about Kitty! I think those of us who saw your videos loved Kitty, who definitely had her father’s voice! She was an extremely affectionate cat. It’s so hard to lose them………My condolences.?

9. Jonni, do you mean the very affectionate cat in your videos? I think I looked at her more than you (sorry). Making me cry. I miss her too now. Jacky

10. my heart is breaking for you Jonni…..this has been happening to my husband and I a lot lately….we lost a pet kitty earlier this year to kidney failure….she was only four years old…”milady” was her name…we still miss her !…I love your memorial stone…what a great idea, I want to make one also….I am fascinated with concrete and how permanent it is….I am so looking forward to your future projects…love , Ouida

• Thanks, Ouida. That’s so hard to lose them so soon! I’m so sorry that Milady is no longer with you. If you do make a stone for her, I hope you’ll let us know how it comes out.

11. Morning , Jonni. so sorry to hear about your cat..she was so fun to watch as she interacted with you. Also, I want to thank you, again for sharing so much of your art and skills with us. You surely are a very caring and thoughtful person. We appreciate you. Christine

12. Your kitty was absolutely beautiful and she clearly loved you a bunch. What was her name?

Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorials and this one in particular. I’ve had many dogs and cats throughout my life who’ve lived good long lives, and I needed to find a more permanent way to mark their graves.

Thanks again.

• Thank you, Lillyjane. But I can’t tell you her name – thirteen years ago, I wasn’t too smart about passwords, and I’m sure I used her name as a password for online accounts that I can’t even remember! I don’t do that anymore. I started planting the trees near my kitties’ graves as a way to remember them – and it’s a way for them to live on, but in a different form. We do still miss them, though, don’t we?

13. I’m sorry about your Kitty. I remember thinking how loving she seemed in one of your videos when you were holding her.

14. Jonni, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. It is hard when a beloved pet leaves us but I am sure the memories are forever and that memorial is a fitting testament of how much she was loved. She was a gorgeous kitty.