5 Paper Mache Recipes – Including No-Flour, Mold-Free Options

paper mache paste recipe

Paper mache (or papier-mâché, if you prefer) can be made with many different paste recipes.

To go straight to your favorite recipe, click on one of the links below.

This is a reader-supported site. When you buy through links on this site, I may earn an affiliate commission. Thanks for your support! 🙂

The recipes listed on this page are for use with paper strips and paste. You’ll find my paper mache clay recipe on a separate page.

how to make a maskIf you’re looking for a fast start on your next paper mache project, any of the recipes on this page will work with my new downloadable patterns for sculptures and masks.

Fast and Easy Raw Flour and Water Paste

This has been my favorite paper mache paste for years. It’s also the paste our friend Dan Reeder uses to make his wonderful dragons and monsters. However, keep reading to see when it might not be the best option for your next project.

Paper mache paste is easy to make, and it doesn’t really need a recipe. The most important tip is to use hot water (from the tap, not boiling) to make a nice smooth paste.

Ingredients for easy paper mache paste:

• Flour
  • Hot Water from the Tap

To make the paste, just pour some white flour in a bowl. Add hot water gradually until you have a consistency that will work well. Mix with a spoon or whisk. If you have one, an immersion blender works great).

Watch this video to see how to apply paper strips and paste to an armature.

How thick should you make your paste?  You want it thin enough so it looks more like white glue than pancake batter – although thicker paste will work OK, too, if that’s the way you like it. You really can’t make it wrong.

What kind of flour will work? You’ll need to use all-purpose white flour. Whole-wheat flour makes healthier bread, but it isn’t sticky enough to make good paste.

Make up just enough for one sculpting session. This is good advice for any paste made with wheat flour. Wild yeast is attracted to flour (that’s how sourdough bread is made.)

If the paste is kept over from one session to the next, the yeast will break down the flour and make the paste less sticky (and slightly stinky). It’s best to whip up as much as you need today, throw out any paste that’s left over, and make a new batch tomorrow – or whenever you need some more. (If you need a paste that can be kept for longer periods of time, see the Elmer’s Art Paste, below.)

Be sure to clean the bowl and utensils before the paste has time to dry – it will dry very hard. That’s good for paper mache, but not so good for the person washing the dishes.

Tips: This paste is easy and strong, but it will leave a floury residue on the outside of your sculpture. If you want the last layer of paper to be seen on the finished sculpture, you’ll need one of the clear paste alternatives below.

And if you have a gluten allergy, you’ll want to use one of the gluten-free alternatives.

See my patterns for paper mache wall sculptures and masks:

Cooked Flour and Water Paste:

Cooked paper mache paste will dry almost clear, unlike the raw paste, and the surface of your paper mache sculpture will be slightly smoother.

Ingredients:

• 2 Tablespoons of white flour
  • 1 cup of cold water

Mix the white flour and water in a small saucepan. Stir until there are no lumps. A whisk works really well for this.

Put the pan on the stove at medium heat and slowly bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.

When it begins to thicken, be sure to watch carefully and keep stirring, to make sure it doesn’t burn. Stir with a silicone spatula if you have one. As soon as it starts to bubble, remove the pan from the heat and allow the paste to cool.

The paste will be somewhat runny when it’s hot, but it will gel slightly as it cools. You’ll obviously want to keep your hands out of it while it’s still hot enough to burn.

Tips: This is an excellent choice if you need a paste that dries clear. However, if you have a gluten allergy, you’ll need one of the options below.

Keep these recipes handy for your next project. Download my free recipe guide, The 5 Best Recipes for Paper Mache. It includes the recipe for my famous paper mache clay. To get your copy, click here.

My Lion King Mask Patterns for Paper Mache:

Elmer’s Art Paste:

A 2 oz carton ofGluten-free paper mache paste Elmer’s Art Paste mixes up into a full gallon of gluten-free paste that doesn’t attract mold.

Elmer’s Art Paste is made with methyl-cellulose, the product often considered the ‘gold standard’ for professional paper mache artists who want their work to last a lifetime.

It’s non-toxic, safe for kids, and it’s a great paste for people who live in hot, humid climates where mold and insects are a big problem.

If you need a paste that doesn’t use flour, I can’t think of a better option. Watch the video below to see how easy it is to mix.

Play Video

Tips: If you need to mix up a large batch of paper mache paste in advance for a class or workshop, this is a great choice. You can make this paste weeks ahead of time if you want, and it won’t spoil.

Elmer’s Art Paste won’t go moldy, no matter how long it takes to dry.

And you don’t have to worry about gluten allergies.

More Gluten-Free Options

If you need a paste that dries perfectly clear, you can use Elmer’s Glue-All (or any white PVA glue) mixed with just enough water to make the glue thinner and easier to spread.

I don’t personally like using glue with my paper mache sculptures because I don’t like the way it feels when it dries on my hands. However, many people really like it, and never use anything else. It is quite a lot more expensive than Elmer’s Art Paste.

Acrylic Gel can be used as paste. This is the product that I use when I add colored tissue paper as a final layer over a paper mache sculpture. You do need to make sure the paper mache underneath is completely dry, because the acrylic medium could dry first and seal moisture inside. .

5 Paper Mache Recipes - Including No-Flour, Mold-Free OptionsI use the gel medium with tissue paper for two reasons: It dries perfectly clear, and it doesn’t cause the fragile tissue paper to fall apart quite as fast as water-based paste does. You do still need to handle the paper carefully, of course.

You can use any acrylic gel medium, but the one I now use exclusively is the Acrylic Gel Medium by Rock Paint. It isn’t ‘better’ than other gels on the market, but it seems to be the least expensive product of it’s type, and it works just fine.

You can see how the gel medium worked with tissue paper on a bullfrog sculpture here.Save

More Lion King Mask Patterns for Paper Mache:

Wood Glue for Paper Mache

I use Titebond II wood glue for all of my Lion King masks, because it’s strong enough that you can use just one layer over the cardboard patterns. (Click here to see a video that shows how I use it.) It’s also what I use when I use paper mache inside a silicone mold.

You can find the wood glue online or in any hardware store or Walmart. It isn’t cheap, but you don’t need many layers and it dries much faster than any water-based paste.

Paper mache paste recipes

2,367 thoughts on “5 Paper Mache Recipes – Including No-Flour, Mold-Free Options”

• You could use any of the tutorials on this site and just change the shape. Then wrap him up with strips of cotton, which you could make “old” looking by soaking in diluted coffee. But I’ve never made a mummy, myself. Let us know how your project turns out.

1. your site is great! im thinking about starting a project and untill now all the information i needed was on 10 different sites! anyway I have used paper mache a few times when I was a kid but not in years, I am thinking of adding a floor to celing tree in my babys nursery (jungle theme) and was wondering if that was somthing you think would be reasonable for someone with not much experience? and if so do you think I should use the paper or the clay? Thanks for every thing!

2. I have a den of Cub Scouts (4th grade) and will be doing papier mache over a simple balloon today — they’ll love getting messy! Wondering if, after some painting — can we cut out small holes and hang for use as a birdhouse? Wondering if they’d like to live in there … seems like it would make a nice cozy home! Many thanks and love your site!

• Hi Karen. I’ve wondered about that myself – the only concern I have is that the paper mache will tend to collect dampness from the birds inside the birdhouse, and will get rained on the outside. If you completely seal the paper mache both inside and out with marine varnish, it might hold up. It would be a shame to have a bird family living inside and then have dampness weaken the walls so much the house breaks apart.

Good luck with your projects.

3. Great tutorial! I have a question. Is it necessary to use these pastes with paper, or can other materials be substituted? I am working on a costume for a condom fashion show, and I would love to make a latex top hat, fashioned in this style. Is it possible?
    Thanks!!

• Hi Paige. I don’t know of any transparent material that you could use to create something that looked like latex, other than latex itself. I would suggest that you check out the tutorials at http://www.smooth-on.com/ and make your hat using one of their latex products. I’ve used the Smooth-on latex rubber material for making molds (for cat faces, not condoms…) and the material is actually quite easy to work with.

Have fun.

• Thanks for the reply, Jonni!
        I actually have a load of latex, in the form of multi-colored condoms, and I was more curious if I could use the paste recipes on them, by substituting strips of condoms for strips of paper?

• Oh, I get it. Sort of like a condom flower thingy? The answer then, is “no.” The flour and water will not stick to latex. I’m not sure if anything will stick to latex. Maybe you could try one of the inexpensive hot glue guns – that might work.

4. Hi there,

I just stumbled upon your website, and I was glad to find so much information on paper mache. My 10 year old just informed me (last minute of course) he has to make a paper mache sculpture of a human heart. The best part is that it’s due on Tuesday. After thinking about this little task for a few seconds I realized all the detail this must require.I have no clue as to how to begin. Do you have any suggestions or advice? Thank you 🙂

• Hi Vanessa,

Your son can make an inner form, using crumpled newspapers and masking tape, to create the basic shapes. Rolls of paper might come out at the right places for veins and arteries, while the heart itself could be made from one or two balls of crumpled paper, squashed into the correct shape. Then he would just cover the form with paper strips and paste, three layers should probably be enough. It would be even easier to use the new paper mache clay recipe – there’s a link to the recipe at the top of this page. He can be making the paper and masking tape form while you run to the hardware store for the ingredients. The clay should be added in a very thin layer, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep, and smoothed with the flat side of a knife. Do one side, sit the heart on top of a radiator or furnace register to let it harden, then turn it over and cover the other side. When it’s dry it can be painted.

If he uses the paper strips and paste instead, it can be dried in the oven at about 250F.

I wish him luck. With this kind of deadline, he’s going to need it.

5. Thanks so much for all of your information. I have a couple of questions that I’m hoping you have time to answer. I usually used art paste for my Papier Mache which is a clear gel-like glue, but after visting your site I decided to use the traditional flour and water paste. It was great, except for the cracking that occurred. Is there a way to prevent the cracks from happening, and an easy solution for fixing them? Also, I wanted to try making the “skin” for the last layer, but wasn’t sure how much glue to add or how to apply it. Do you brush it on? Thanks so much for your help.

• Hi Courtney. You’re right–flour and water paste will crack if you put it on the outside of your sculpture. You can reduce or eliminate the cracking by adding white glue, but you will need to experiment to see how much is needed.

I no longer use the “skin” formula that is on this page–I keep experimenting with different recipes to make the process easier, and I’ve found that I prefer a home-made gesso, which can be colored with acrylic paint or powdered pigments. To make the gesso mix up one tablespoon joint compound (called joint filler in the UK) with one teaspoon white glue and a dab of white acrylic paint. This gesso will smooth out the surface of your sculpture, and I have never seen it crack. It becomes quite hard when dry, but should be protected with acrylic paint or a final varnish.

When I used the paste mixed with glue for skin, I brushed it on and then smoothed it out with my fingers. It would depend on what texture you want. More glue will make it thinner and stronger, without the cracks – experiment with different amounts until you get the look you want.

6. For a large sculpture – say 4-5 feet in length and 2-3 ft wide, would you use some sort of framework? If so what would you build the frame with to keep it light weight? I thought of cardboard and possibly some light weight fiberglass screening. Any thoughts?

Rob

• Hi Rob. There are several ways you could go. For the Baby Elephant sculpture, I used particleboard, which is very heavy. I’m now convinced that gluing up two or three layers of corrugated cardboard would have been just as strong, and much lighter.

You could also use Dan Reeder’s wire armature method, which would also be lighter than my particleboard armature, and probably just as strong. (You can use that method for things other than monsters, by the way. I used his wire armature technique when I built the insides of my bobcat and all my other big cats).

And the third method, which I haven’t tried but which obviously works, is shown in the new Papier Mache Design book by Monique Roberts.

I don’t know what you’re using the screening for. I use the expanded aluminum stuff that’s sold in hardware stores for keeping leaves out of gutters when I need to make ears or strong tails with the paper mache clay. The clay keys into it really well, and the result is light and strong.

I hope this helps. Let us see your project when it’s done!

7. Your information is wonderful, thanks! My Gr.3/4 class is making a teacher-sized inukshuk for the winter Olympics in February. We are using cardboard boxes as the base. We’ll cover it with paper mache and use paper towels as a final layer to provide texture. Our art teacher (not me!) suggested sponge painting it to add to the textured appearance. The kids can’t wait to get started! Your raw recipe’s instructions are just what I needed! I am going to try adding salt as an extra measure to fight mold.

8. Thank you for the information you have generously shared. I will be trying out paper mache and find that you having experimented with various types of paper mache that will save me the trouble of trying out will save me a lot of time.

9. Jonni – You are like the Paper Mache Encyclopedia! Thank you so much for the tips – I’m going to try your recipes instead of using the pre-made mix I’ve been buying. Cheap is always good! Thank you so much. xx

• Yes, you can put small paper mache sculptures in the oven to dry, but keep the temperature under 200. Also keep checking the sculpture, because some shapes will warp. If you don’t catch it in time, it could ruin your work.

This applies only to sculptures made entirely with paper and flour paste. Sculptures made with glue, like Elmers Glue-All, should be dried over a heating vent or out in the sun, instead of in the oven. The baking glue will release plastic into the air, and you probably don’t want to breath plastic, or smell it, either. If you must dry a sculpture made with the paper mache clay recipe on this blog in the oven, keep the temp under 150F.

I find that sculptures actually dry faster when you place them over a heating vent that has warm, forced air. You can also use a fan, with no extra heat. The moving air seems to dry the pieces more quickly than the warm, still air in an oven.

Hope this helps…

10. Thank you so much… this was exactly what I was looking for. I have a craft fair coming up and wanted to make a paper mache head to display one of the hats that I make. I was afraid it was going to cost me an arm and a leg for the materials to make it!

• Hi Jenifer. I checked out the hats you make over on your Etsy site, and they’re very nice. I hope you share a photo of your hat on top of your new paper mache head display. That’s a really good idea – light enough to cart around, and inexpensive so you won’t have to worry too much about dings while packing up at the show. Good luck at the fair!

11. Discovered your site a few days ago & I am sooo intrigued by this recipe. I have been wanting to make some paper mache *heads on a stick* but have been initimidated by the process. Seeing your simplified method gives me courage to try one….today! Let you know how it goes….thanks for being so generous w/ your knowledge & talent!

12. Hello there!

First, I must say how truly gifted you are. These sculptures are AMAZING! I am not doing anything that intricate. I have made 3 large dinosaur egg pinatas for my daughters 7th birthday party. There will be about 39 kids in attendance. I made this by covering plastic trash bags (filled with more plastic bags) with paper mache (using the flour/water/salt/cinnamon recipe). I have done 2 layers of paper mache and it’s SLOWLY drying. I plan to spray paint them, then go back and add details with a paint brush – like adding a crack and a claw sticking out, etc. My goal is to give each kid a good whack at the pinata – so each pinata should be able to withhold about 13 whacks before cracking open. What can I do to strengthen them more? I have run out of time to do a 3rd coat as it seems to take longer and longer to dry. Thank you for any insight you can provide to me – It’s much appreciated!
    Suzanne

• Hi Suzanne. I’ve never made a sculpture that is supposed to break, so I can’t offer much help. I’ll copy your question as a regular post, and see if any of my readers can help.

Check for answers to your question on the new pinata post, here.

13. Hi Jonni, it’s me again, after looking through all the rest of your site. Really fantastic, and thank you for sharing all your techniques. the posts on the horse were particularly fascinating for me as this is the sort of thing I want to do. On Elmer’s Glue-all – I’m sorry to have bothered you asking this.Only after I’d sent the email did I think to look on Google, and sure enough, there it is. Still don’t know if the actual product is available in the UK and France, but I have enough info to go looking now.. (well, when the snow melts, that is – I’ve been snowed in for three days so far!) Actually it’s great – no tv, so I have been creative.
    Thanks again, and – a bit belatedly, Happy New Year!
    Mags

14. Thank you for your paper mache information. I have made quite a few items out of paper mache and I am now in the process of making a large tree so I decided to do a search on which paper mache glue recipe is the strongest and this is how I have bumped into you.

I wanted to add, that some people recommend putting salt in your paste mix to prevent it from molding. Don’t know how true this is but I have done this and no mold so far. Also, some recipes recommend sugar. I wonder if this will make the glue any stronger?

• Hi Sarah. Interesting questions.

I’ve never used salt in my paste recipe, but I live on the edge of a desert–that may give you a clue that mold is not my primary concern. Mold does not like salt, probably because it dries out their little bodies, so it should be a good addition to a paper mache paste recipe.

About the sugar, however–I’m no chemist, but I do make bread occasionally. So I know that yeast (a fungus) loves sugar. I would steer clear of that idea.

And the best way to prevent mold is to make sure you dry your projects as fast as possible, and then seal them with a good quality varnish to keep moisture from getting back in.

Hope this helps.

15. Hello,I really liked your video. I had so many different recipes for paste,but you have given me a clear picture of what the options are and why. I want to do bowls and African symbols for wall hangings. thanks

16. hi, thanks so much for the info. I’m wondering if you can use a hair dryer (blow dryer) to help dry your paper mache project if you are not able to put it in the oven.

• Hi Valerie. I like to use plaster of paris to weight sculptures, if needed. If your bust has a flat bottom, you can turn it upside down and remove some of the material you used as the inner form. Then place a plastic bag in the hole you make and fill it with some plaster of paris. Close the bag over the plaster and make sure the bottom is still flat. Allow it to set up, and then close your sculpture’s bottom with a final layer of paper mache.

You do need to isolate the plaster with plastic to prevent the water in the plaster from migrating out into the paper mache.

I hope this helps.