I took some time off for other projects, but now I’m getting back into the “flow” with my book about little dogs built around wire armatures. I worried about how to make the fur seem somewhat realistic, and I think this method of putting the longer hair (the feathers) on the back of the legs and tail works really well. I used several coats of the home-made gesso over the cut paper towels, so the effect is rather subtle. You could get different effects by separating the hairs more than I did, using a thinner-bodied commercial gesso instead, or maybe even using newspaper instead of the paper towels. Experimenting is fun!
I didn’t actually intend to put such tiny details as the teeth on these little fellows, but with the tongue hanging off to the side, it just seemed like I needed an excuse to put a few spots of white paint above the black lower lip. Otherwise, it might look like all his teeth fell out! I do own a magnifying glass (it’s around here somewhere) but I’m too lazy to use for sculpting. So I rummaged through my spice cupboards and found the smallest seeds in there – the mustard seeds. I also pulled out the fennel seeds, because they’re pointy. I tried cutting a fennel seed in half and gluing it on in place of the larger canine teeth, but it really didn’t work. Too toothy for my taste, I guess. Anyway, I’ll get a photo of the Golden as soon as I have him painted, and you can tell me what you think. Should I skip the teeth, or do they work? Stay tuned… 😉
I admit that I set the book aside for a month or two. Spring is here (well, not today, but perhaps in principal at least), and when spring comes along I get into the mood for building and remodeling and rearranging things. I started out with the stair project (still not finished), and then moved on to start a complete rebuild of the kitchen. Last month I built a new kitchen island out of a base cabinet that was in such a weird place that it was mostly unusable. It was fun learning how to use the Kreg pocket hole jig, and installing new Blum drawers, but now it’s time to get serious about this book again. I must ignore that red paint on the kitchen walls for a few more weeks!
The patterns are all done, and now all I need to do is to make sculptures based on all those patterns so I know for sure that they work. Only about 18 more to go! Feel free to nag to keep me focused.