Get a fast start on your next paper mache project or hand-made gift with Jonni’s easy downloadable patterns for masks, animal sculptures and faux trophy mounts. The patterns help you create a beautiful work of art, even if you’ve never sculpted anything before.
I finished painting the Boer goat this week. Now I just need to add a few coats of the Ultra Matte varnish – and paint the cat. He’ll be a yellow tomcat, and I think he’ll look really nice with those yellow eyes on the goat.
I used several layers of glazes, made by adding acrylic paint to Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid. Although the goat was made with Apoxie Sculpt, this same method works really well with paper mache sculptures, too. Except for drying between coats, painting her took very little time.
The glaze worked really well for the darker browns, but I didn’t like the light acrylic paint mixed with the glazing liquid. I can’t explain why – it just didn’t seem to work. It was easy enough to get the look I wanted in those areas with watered-down paint, but you do need to be careful to not add too much water. The paint will lose it’s ability to stick to the sculpture if too much water dilutes the acrylic binders in the paint. It’s hard to see in the photos, but the ears really are slightly lighter than the face.
To see the model for this goat, take a look at Eclipse on this page and scroll down towards the bottom. The owners were very nice about letting me link to their site so you could see their beautiful Boer goats. I left off the white spot on Eclipse’s forehead, because it would draw the eye away from the rest of the sculpture. However, I’m still thinking about it. Maybe she should get her spot. What do you think?
I’m really happy with the brush I found at Walmart. It’s also available online. It’s called a Smooth Basecoating brush, and several brands make them. The one I’m using is from the Folk Art company. It’s perfect for varnish, because it lets you put on a smooth, thin coat. I think I’m in love…
You can still see just a hint of the original yellow base coat peeking through the light coats of brown glaze, and I think that really helps to pull all the colors together and add some interest in the large areas that are all one color. The tiny, almost invisible texture I added to the Apoxie Sculpt really helps, too – although most people probably wouldn’t notice any texture at all.
I really enjoyed this project, but my next project will be a lot faster, and a lot easier. And I’m not saying that just because my brain is a little fuzzy at the moment. While the paint was drying on the goat I started working on a new project that should be much faster – but it’s still in the daydream stage. Wish me luck. 🙂