Paper Mache Mandrill Mask Pattern –
for Rafiki in the Lion King Play
Mandrill’s are weird — but that’s just one of the reasons why using this pattern to make Rafiki’s mask is so much fun.
This headdress-style mask is easy to make with the pattern and cardboard from a few cereal boxes. Just add paper mache and paint.
And after the play is over, you can proudly display your Mandrill mask on your wall.
What happens after you order:
This is a downloadable PDF Pattern with full instructions, so there’s no waiting, and no shipping costs. You can start on your project right away.
Be sure to download your pattern directly to your computer or device, so you can access it again later.
To make your Mandrill mask:
Watch the video below to see how the Rafiki mask is made:
And watch the video below to see a fast, easy way to cover your mask with paper mache.
A lion helped with this video, but the method works just as well for Rafiki. 🙂
To make this paper mache Mandrill Mask you will need:
- Copy paper or full-sheet labels (recommended)
- Glue stick if using copy paper for pattern
- Cardboard from 5 standard-sized cereal boxes
- Paper towels
- Sharp scissors for cutting cardboard
- Tape, both clear plastic tape and masking tape
- Aluminum foil
- Glue gun
- Paper strips and paste (or use brown paper and Titebond III wood glue like I did – recommended)
- White primer or acrylic gesso
- Spray paint with a stone look (Optional)
- Acrylic paint and varnish
- Artists’ brushes
- Black felt
Do you have a question or need help with your pattern?
I love questions!
There are two ways to contact me:
The fastest way to get an answer is to leave a comment on this page. I read all comments and answer them as soon as I can, usually within a few hours. Some of my readers might also chime in to help – we have a very supportive community here on this site.
If you prefer to reach me privately, you can send me an email. I’ll try to respond as quickly as I can, but if you don’t hear back from me within 24 hours, assume the cyberspace gremlins ate your email and try again.