Lions head with juke mane

Made by Nancy N

My lions head is a little bit different. I’m a sewer so I thought I could just follow jonni pattern pieces add a 1/4 in. Seam allowance and everything would work out. Wrong, there were many obstacles I had to overcome, suffice it to say next time I’ll stick to paper mache.

The cheeks and the eyebrows had to be increased so I stuffed them, the pieces between the eyes was to big , but then I just glued it on top so I didn’t need the seam allowance and had to remove it. I knew I’d be hanging it high so I had to draw a pattern piece for under neath his jaw, and then cover it with fabric and attach it, this I did after the rest of his face was done. Best to think things thru first.

Anyway I used a wreath frame for the mane and juke starting with 12 in. Pieces and shorting them by 2 in. Per round. I took each piece folded it in half wrapped it around wire and slipped it through. Then I finished my head, placed it in the centre of the wreath and marked out where it would sit then filled in with more juke all the empty spaces.

I added a bottom jaw so you couldn’t look up into the head from below. I also shredded the juke to use on his jaw line and top of head it gave the lion a softer appearance and blended in with the rest of his mane. I used the plastic canvas to fill in the centre of the wreath and when filling in those spaces I had to break down the juke into the 4 to 5 basic strands they twist so I could fill in the canvas holes. Over all it measures 24 in across a d sits out 8 inches approx. From the wall.

Then i painted my fabric on his face I also used leather for his nose.

Lion Head with Jute Mane from the Side

Adding a mane to the fabric lion head.

3 thoughts on “Lions head with juke mane”

  1. Clever idea and as a sewing person myself, a quite ambitious project. It’s a lot like making dolls or stuffed animals which I find tough. It turned out really nice though, a piece to be proud of. Paper mache would be easier to dust though! Thanks for sharing your novel project.

    Reply
    • Thanks Eilleen, it was a labour of love. The mane really didnt take to long, a couple of nights in front of the tv. The worst part of juke are the dust particles that fall off alot like working with glitter.

      Reply

Leave a Reply to Eileen Cancel reply

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.

Heads up! You are attempting to upload a file that's too large. Please try a smaller file smaller than 250KB.

Note that images greater than 250KB will not be uploaded.