Jackrabbit Pattern for a Wall Sculpture – Faux Trophy Mount

$7

A jackrabbit “faux trophy mount” is a silly idea – but that’s what makes it so much fun.

This is a downloadable PDF Pattern with full instructions. That means there’s no waiting and no shipping costs, and you can start on your project right away.

Click here if you’d like to know more about how the patterns are delivered. And remember – if you have any problems downloading your files or putting your pattern together, just let me know. I’m always happy to help.  😀

How to make the jackrabbit:

• Print the pattern on card stock.
  • Cut out the pieces and tape them together.
  • Add a few bits of crumpled foil to give him a nice nose, more softly rounded cheeks, and eyelids. (The pattern shows you exactly how to do each step.)
  • Add one layer of paper mache to your larger-than-life jackrabbit wall sculpture.
  • Paint it, and you’re done.

To make it even easier, you can use my paper mache clay recipe instead of paper strips and paste. You can find the recipe in the Art Library on this site.

Note: The pieces on this particular pattern are quite small, so you’ll need patience to put your jackrabbit together. When you’re done you’ll have a realistic sculpture you can mount directly on the wall, as shown above, or you can attach him to a wooden plaque for that ‘faux trophy mount’ look.

I used newsprint for the spotted fur on the jackrabbit shown above, but you can use acrylic paint, instead. Clear fingernail polish will make his eyes bright and shiny.

Watch the video below to see how easy it is to use this pattern:

To make this paper mache sculpture you will need:

• 110# card stock (you can find it in the office supply department at WalMart)
  • A printer
  • Scissors
  • Clear plastic tape (like Scotch tape) or Peel N’ Stick Clear Laminate Adhesive Shelf Liner*
  • 1 1/2” Styrofoam balls for the eyes
  • Glue gun, to attach the eyes
  • Masking tape (both narrow and wide)
  • Aluminum foil, shredded paper or foam packing peanuts for stuffing inside the pattern to support it.
  • Paper Mache (use paper strips and paste, or paper mache clay. Recipes can be found in the Paper Mache Art Library.
  • Acrylic Paint and Acrylic Medium
  • Matte acrylic varnish

*You can find clear shelf liner this in the housewares department of Walmart, or order it online. Or just use plastic tape. It’s to keep the card stock from getting wet when you add paper mache.

$7

You may also like…

Do you have a question or need help with your pattern?

If you have a question about putting your pattern together or painting it, leave a comment below or on the Daily Sculptors page. I read all comments and answer them as soon as I can, usually within a few hours. Some of my readers might ideas for you, too — we have a very supportive community on this site.

Downloading your files: To see exactly how the downloading process should work, click here.  If your pattern doesn’t download correctly and you can’t see the solution on that page, let me know right away so I can help. This is a one-person business, but I check my inbox regularly and will respond as fast as I can.

94 thoughts on “Easy Pattern for Paper Mache Jackrabbit Head”

1. Hi 🙂 what will be the size of the head made of the bigger pattern ? Actually I need something what would fit a human head. Should I make it even more bigger ? printing in a3 size would help ?

• I haven’t made the larger version. The original is only 4″ high at the neck. The pattern that Beverly Frey made for us is “150% larger,” but I think she meant that it prints on paper that’s 150% larger. I have no idea how big the finished sculpture would be. You could print it out and tape the neck pieces together to see if it would be big enough for a human head. If not, you might need to do some calculations to come up with the right size.

2. Jonni Hi, Here is my latest project and my first paid commission. A Jackalope. It is a creature we do not hear much about here in New Zealand. An american lady at work wanted one when she saw my Jack Rabbit. I used your pattern again and made the antlers using wire, masking tape and three coats of gesso. She wanted it all one color so I paid extra attention to avoiding any blemishes or marks as these would really stand out once it was painted. I have photos available of the antler making process if you think your readers might like to see them. I think he/she looks pretty good and am very happy with the result. The shield I made out of plain MDF custom wood as it too was going to be painted.

• Basil, your jackalope is perfect! I can see how much work went into getting the surface absolutely smooth – that must have taken hours. and yes, we would all like to know how you made the antlers, and how you made the shield. If you’d like to write another guest post for us, we would be delighted. Just send it to me, as you did before, if you decide you’d like to do it.

3. Hi there Jonni, Here is my latest project and my first paid commission. A “Jackalope”. I hadn’t heard of them before here in New Zealand but when an American lady I worked with saw my Jack Rabbit she asked me to make her a Jackalope. I used your pattern again but made the antlers my self from wire masking tape and three coats of gesso. It is the first project I have done all in the one color and as she wanted it to be white I took extra care to avoid imperfections because they would really show up once painted. I applied two good thick coats of artists white acrylic, sanded banded in between coats , then two coats of a clear acrylic matt varnish. The sheild I made from plain MDF board as it too was going to painted. I think it looks pretty good. I have other photos of the making of the antlers if you think your readers might like to see them.

I love love love this Jack Rabbit! I stumbled upon it while looking for ideas for making a rabbit head. After seeing someone’s paper mâché unicorn head on Pinterest, I’m minorly obsessed with eventually putting together a Jackalope.

However, I am very new to paper mâché and am hoping to ask your advice.
    From all of the intricate pieces, I’m guessing this would be too tough for a beginner… What sort of level would the Jack Rabbit be?
    Any suggestions for getting started and building the skills to make it?

• Hi Jessie. Anyone over 13 who has the patience to cut and tape should be able to make the jackrabbit. The pieces are kind of small, and that can be irritating – but once they’re taped together it will look like a jackrabbit. If things seem a bit crooked, the paper mache should easily take care of that.

If you don’t like the look of those itty bitty pieces, you can make your jackalope with crumpled paper or aluminum foil and masking tape, like I did when I made my bongo antelope. I don’t have a pattern to go inside that kind of armature, but you can make one in any size by using the side view of a jackrabbit, and drawing around the outside of his head. The horns will be heavier than the head itself, but if you make them with foil and a stiff wire inside, and then attach them very firmly to the head, it should work just fine.

I think this sounds like a really fun idea. My motto is – go ahead and make one. If it doesn’t turn out right the first time, chuck it out and make another one. That’s the best way to get started, and it’s more fun if you know you don’t have to live with your mistakes forever. Mistakes are the best way to learn, as long as you don’t keep them from trying again.

Here is my Jack Rabbit. As before I started with one layer of paper strips then paper clay. I had a heck of a time with it cracking around the base of the ears but eventually got it sorted. Painting was another issue with it as I wanted it to look as realistic as possible but was never really happy with many of my results so he is thoroughly covered with acrylic paint. I finally hit on a technique I was happy with, (probably shouldn’t be such a perfectionist) and got him finished. I drilled very fine holes in his cheeks and inserted feather quills , courtesy of my fly tying bench into these holes for whiskers. I am very happy with the result and learnt a lot about the whole process from this project. Hope you like him and thanks again for all your sharing and motivation.

• Your jackrabbit is beautiful, Basil. The whiskers were an excellent idea! Where can one fine feather quills, by the way?

And yes, I do like him. I think it’s great!

• Thanks for that Jonni, also in my very little spare time I try to get in as much saltwater flyfishing as I can so I also tie my own flies so have lots of different materials including feathers related to this. All I did for his whiskers was get some white feathers and pull all the fibres off either side leaving the quill (if that’s the right word) bare. It is perfect for whiskers as it already has the curve in it. So just source some feathers from a supplier and Bobs your uncle.

6. Hi, I’m currently trying to create a whole 3D Jackrabbit to go with our 2015 Wicked in Wonderland Ball to raise funds for Drought Relief here in Australia. Would you know of a link that has a template for an entire 3D Jackrabbit?

thank you ps. your work is amazing!

• Hi Renee. I don’t have a template for the entire jackrabbit, but I did make two jackrabbit sculptures several years ago. I took photos of the patterns after they’d been cut out of particle-board (I’d use cardboard now) but for some reason I didn’t keep or post the sketches that I used for the body parts. However, if you take a look at the photo at the bottom of this post, you’ll get a good idea about how the patterns were created and used. You can make your own outlines using good photos taken from the side, and then assemble the pieces as I did in the photo. Then add crumpled paper and tape, some paper mache, and you’ve got yourself a jackrabbit.

Have fun!

• Hi Jonni, I think you are so talented and luv watching you. I have started a 3d model its a horses head, I have covered the pieces of card in sticky back plastic (I’m in the UK) and put the model together with sticky tape. But now the masking tape wont stick to the plastic! Is there anything I could coat it with to make the tape stick, so I don’t have to start again!?

• If you’re using paper strips and paste, the paper mache will probably stick well enough, at least until it dries, without the masking tape. Make sure to cover 1/4″ to 1/2″ (.635 cm to 1.27 cm) around the edge of the back, too, so the paper mache will have something to grip when it’s dry.

7. I would like to make your recipe for paper mache harder so it won’t break or crack when dropped. I have added 3 tablespoons of boiled linseed oil to my recipes, but still no success. Do you have any suggestions?

• Are you talking about the recipe for plain flour and water paste? I don’t know of anything that would make it stronger, other than using more layers of paper and paste. I know the paper mache clay recipe is very hard and strong, and I tested it by dropping it on concrete (thin layer of dried pm clay over crumpled paper armature) and it didn’t crack. But I haven’t tested any other recipe that way, because I don’t make sculptures that will be handled roughly. What are you going to make?

• I am talking about your Paper Mache Clay Recipe. I follow the recipe exactly as in your “Make Animal Sculptures”. One of the things I make are little birds. The birds occasionally fall. They are fairly delicate. Right now I am working on two full size Cockatoos. I was working on one of the Cockatoos feet and the sculpture fell back and hit another sculpture and broke some of the feathers. They can of course be repaired. I handle these carefully but sometimes things fall and break.

• Yes, they are quite thin. As I was writing to you I realized I was answering my own question. Thanks so much. I guess I will just have to live with this breakability of my small delicate pieces.

8. Hello Jonni! I decided to pause on the projects I was working on and try both the Rabbit and the frog. I put the paper puzzles together last night and noticed something that no one else has mentioned. The pattern I downloaded is coming out smaller than what yours looks like in the videos. The frog came out small but still workable, the rabbit on the other hand it very small. It fits over my balled fist with no room to spare. I will try to upload a pic with an 8 oz water bottle to show scale. My question is that the rabbit would be easier to put together if a bit larger, how can the pattern be enlarged and still be able to print it at home on the card stock?

• Hi Brooke – I agree that the jackrabbit’s small pieces make it really hard to put together. The pattern was made that size so the ear pieces would fit onto a letter-sized piece of paper. My finished jackrabbit’s neck is about 3.75″ by 2.75″. Is that the same size you’re getting? He’s considerably larger than a real jackrabbit, but the pieces are aggravating! I won’t be making any more 3D patterns with pieces that small.

As soon as I get done with my baby elephant, (by Monday, I hope), I might go back and enlarge the jackrabbit. It would be much larger than life-sized if I do that, but easier to work with. The pattern pieces will need to be rearranged on the page to make it printable in a larger size.

The back of my bullfrog is about 6.75″ x 5″. Is that the same size as the one you made?

• For the Jack rabbit the size is more 2.25 x2.50 but the bull frog matches. I watched the video a couple times and the pattern you have printed seems slightly different than mine. Since it is the exact same pattern I am wondering what you used to make the pdf and which edition. I have noticed that word docs will change themselves to suit if changing from a older version to new and vice versa. That can be the only reason for the pattern to be a little different that I can think of. Even when you are working on the rabbit nose, piece 1, I see the size difference. I am trying to enlarge it by copy and paste method to a word doc so we will see how that goes.

All that aside, these are extremely fun to do and I am super excited to do the African elephant you mentioned!!! I am going to start the paper Mache part of the frog and rabbit so I will post pics so you can see. 🙂

• Hi Brooke. I used PagePlus X6 to make the PDF (it’s a desktop publishing program) and the “compatibility” is PDF/X-1a, which is used in the printing industry. It should work in any edition of Acrobat, I think (but I can’t be certain of that). When I try to print a PDF, my printer gives me the option of printing it “to fit,” or “actual size.” I always choose actual size. Since the jackrabbit ears are so close to top and bottom edges of the paper, is it possible that your printer is deciding on its own to print the pattern smaller than actual size?

9. Jonni–I’m recently retired after working for 40 years and I’ve just had so much fun with paper mache projects after finding your site. I’ve made several different animals, but I’m attaching a picture of my latest, and largest, project: a mandrill Baboon.

Thank you so much for your videos and your tips and suggestions!

• Hi Dotty. I can tell from your Baboon that you’re having fun! What amazing colors, and you caught the posture just right. Is he sitting at your front door, welcoming guests?

10. I am no less impressed that you use the computer for the design/layout- very cool! What programs do you use?

• I’m using Silo for the 3-D drawing, and Pepakura to unfold it and add the tabs and numbers. This is how the baby elephant looks in Silo before being transferred over to the other program for unfolding:

Baby elephant in Silo

11. I’ve started the jackrabbit head and am as far as the eyes at the moment. Talk about a plethora of small pieces! Looking good, though. Why brown paper? And did you make one first then cut it apart for the patterns? Great job on setting up the PDF, too!
    Fun stuff for sure… Thanks!

• Hi Catharine. I sure hope you show us your jackrabbit when it’s done. I’d love to see it. And yes – the pieces are tiny. I don’t think I’ll be making any small critters again, at least not for a while. I’m working on a baby elephant head now, and it’s so much easier to put together, even though there are more pieces and the shapes are more complex.

I used brown paper just because I happened to have some on hand. It came packed around some seed starting supplies I ordered. Any kind of paper would work just fine. And no, I don’t develop the patterns by hand. I use a 3D design program for the shapes, and another program to unfold the pieces, Then I cut them out, put them together, draw lines all over them for the things that need to change, and do it again. After four or five tries, it gets posted. I’m having fun with it.

12. Jonni !
    I love your jack rabbit. Absolutely wonderful!
    I’m going back thru your posts because I must have missed your information about creating 3D models. I don’t know how that happened, I’m always visiting with you and everyone else here.
    Question please….did you print out your pattern directly onto that sticky paper?
    Thank you for the pattern. I’ll be printing it out and hopefully get one created before Easter.
    Thank you so much.
    Sharon

• Hi Sharon. In case you didn’t find it, the bullfrog is here. And here, although the pattern discussion is on the other post. And no, I didn’t print on sticky paper. I printed on 110# card stock that I got at Walmart. The sticky stuff is Peel ‘N Stick laminate (I thought the peel and stick was the brand, but it’s a Duck product. Wide packing tape works, too. Some people like to use cardboard for their patterns, and they print on full-page sticker sheets. But they don’t normally use paper mache over the cardboard – resin and bondo seems to be the usual choice. I don’t have enough brain cells left to mess with those products.

If you make a jackrabbit, be sure and let us see how it turns out. I have two more small changes to make on the pattern, but it does work as posted.

13. Thank you so much. You’re a very generous artist.
    Not many people is happy to share. You make a huge difference on our times.
    I’m a trained actor from South America living in London for last 10 years. I’m going back to make masks and found many of your suggestions absolutely helpful.

Here a picture of “Penelope”, a character inspired in Peruvians masks. I created her on 2011 for a performance to Festival in Edinburgh.
    I’ll go to make some “copies” of her using some of your techniques/recipes.
    She’s being done with Paris/glued mix and cotton bands/gauze instead of paper, it’s an old technique I learned from Jean-Marie Binoche, long ago. I’ll use some of your suggestions to explore more characters.
    Thank you again. If you are kind to give me any other tip, I’d appreciate it.
    Anibal

• Hi Anibal. I really want to see Penelope, but your image didn’t upload. The file size was probably too large. Can you make it smaller and try again? I’d also be very interested in learning more about the technique you used, with glue and cotton gauze. Do you know of a website or video that shows how it’s done?

14. looks so real , can’t wait to try this method but have to finish 3 mosaic dolphins for a show , so many new ideas

15. I would like you to design the complete hare .
    The body which would match the head.
    I am going to try your pattern for the rabbit, I will let you know how it turns out.
    Les

• Hi Les. I hope you’ll let us see your jackrabbit when it’s done. I don’t think I’ll be doing an entire rabbit anytime soon, though – there would be hundreds of little parts, and I don’t have the patience for it. Maybe next year…

In the meantime, I’ll be using my old internal pattern trick with all my larger four-leggeds, and the wire armatures with external patterns for the tiny ones… since I wrote the books, you know… 😉

16. thank you! you continue to be inspirational. i’m building my confidence up and may do the rabbit/hare. thanks again for your excellent vids.

17. I can’t draw or sculpt at all, but I love to visit your site to see what you’re doing. I just love your work! I like to read about your process even though I’ll probably never do anything like it. I’m more of a fiber artist or mixed media artist, but I’ll continue to enjoy what you do for as long as you continue to share it with your fans.