I took a bit of time off from my book-writing job to begin an adult Indian Rhino. Not a life-sized one, but still pretty big. To make it go faster, I created the basic shapes with wet clay over a cobbled-together armature, and then covered the clay with plaster cloth. The final layer will come tomorrow, when I add the “skin” with homemade air-dry clay.
Joanne recently reminded me about my Santa mask, which was made in a similar way. For Santa, I used paper mache clay directly over the pottery clay (with plastic in between) instead of using an intermediate layer of plaster cloth like I did today. I used today’s experimental method because plaster cloth can be cut with a sharp box knife, but dried paper mache clay is so hard I think I’d need power tools to cut it apart. Santa was open at the back and didn’t need to be cut apart to remove the clay. I didn’t use regular paper strips and paste because I wanted a hard surface sooner – no waiting for me this week – ’cause I’m really supposed to be working on something else….
I’ll post another video to show how the air-dry clay goes on the rhino. I already started playing with it, and I’m getting some really nice textures – so watch for it if you’d like to see how the rhino turns out.