Note: for an easy way to make a realistic paper mache mask, check out my new mask patterns and sculpture patterns – they create all the shapes for you, so you can complete your project in record time. A fun, fast way to create with paper mache.
Monica Franco sent us some excellent instructions for making a simple paper mache mask. Thanks, Monica, for submitting your guest post for our online Halloween Mask Party!
And now, here’s Monica:
How to Make a Simple Paper Mache Mask
I made a simple wearable mask by
1) cutting cardboard into the rough shape of a head
2) build up the facial features (use a mirror as a reference)
3) dip paper strips into a bowl of water and layer it on form
4) dip paper strips into flour and water paste and layer it on the water layer immediately
5) wait for both layers to dry
6) remove from form, cut eye holes and nostril holes ( your gonna need these)
7) add more layers of paste on the inside and out till its as strong as you want