Yes, I finally finished the paper mache mask of Nancy’s beautiful greyhound, Harry. As you may recall, this is the mini-mask I volunteered to make for a fundraising event for a sighthound rescue group. I’m embarrassed to see that I started this little paper mache mask on May 24 – almost two months ago! Of course, there were a few little distractions along the way (I put my house on the market, for instance…)
Now that he’s done, I’m really happy with this mask. He will be shipped off to Nancy today, and I know I’m going to miss having him around. Harry has such a sweet face.
In case you’re wondering, I used the same methods for this mask that you’ll find in the video series about the paper mache Pantalone mask (and in my book about making masks, too, of course 🙂 ). I started out, back in May, making a greyhound skull to use as a form – that worked really well, but I didn’t actually like the mask I ended up with, so I started over. Then I didn’t like the second one either, and started over again. (I learned a lot about making portrait masks during this project!) This last time, I created the form out of Super Sculpey, just like the Pantalone mask in the video. Since I was deep into my house-selling project by then, I didn’t have time to take progress photos.
Since my house sold, I’ll probably be spending lots of time in the near future packing books and looking around for my next home. (I think I might end up on the Oregon coast, but I’m still not sure…) However, I do want to try out a new thing I discovered recently – firing earthenware in a Weber barbeque. I have almost 50 pounds of low-fire clay that I bought for my paper mache clay experiments a few months ago, and I think it would be fun to see if this actually works. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime, take a look at Harry’s mask, and tell me what you think: (Click on the images to make them bigger).