I know you’ll think I’m crazy (and maybe I am) but I started over with my goat sculpture.
I just wasn’t having fun with it. And sculpting is supposed to be fun, isn’t it?
I had two problems with using foil for an armature this big:
- I have a hard time seeing the shapes, even when I make sure the ‘dull’ side is out.
- I like changing things around when I sculpt, and that’s hard to do when you have a solid armature. And glued-on crumpled foil is really solid.
When I decided to move one of the eyes, I had to get out my heat gun. I don’t have one of the smaller craft-type heat guns, just a big-a** piece of equipment that’s made for stripping paint and thawing pipes. Of course, it worked – it softened the solidified hot glue – but it made a mess, with sticky bits of torn foil all over the table.
Then I wanted to change the angle of the head, so I got out the electric saw…
Well, you get the idea.
But don’t get me wrong – I think foil is great for making armatures. I loved using it on the squirrel and the tiny dogs and the unicorn. But this week I wanted to move some clay around, to get my hands dirty, to make decisions about where something should go and what shape it should be, and then change my mind – and foil just doesn’t move all that easily. Since making my goat wasn’t as much fun as I wanted it to be, I started over.
I found some photos of a goat’s skull, which I should have done to start with, and created a very basic, somewhat crude skull to use as the base for my goat. It didn’t have to be pretty, because nobody will ever see it once the sculpt is done. The fake skull was made out of foil, which my eyeballs can’t see very well, so I covered it with plaster cloth. I could have achieved the same result by covering it with masking tape, but I left my tape in the garage and it froze. Now I can’t get the tape off the roll – I guess you’re not supposed to let it get so cold.
My goat also changed from a table-top sculpture to a wall sculpture, which eliminates the need to make a base or worry about the balance.
And now I get to play around with some clay, which is what I really wanted to do all along. I’ll let you see the finished sculpt in a day or two, and then you can tell me if you think it was worth taking the time to do the goat sculpture over. [Edit–I worked on the sculpt after I wrote this post, and you can now see how the goat looks after I spent an hour adding the WED clay.
And to prove that you really can make big armatures with foil, (even though I didn’t like mine very much), check out this gigantic dragon: https://youtu.be/htLs0A1G5hk