No artwork to share today? That’s OK, too… We’d love to hear from you. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the comment form.

• Leslie, this is your first? Can’t wait to see the next—and the next—He’s ghastly and really quite beautiful. Thanks for showing us. Happy Holidays!

1. Hi Everyone, Here’s my latest project–Squirrel and Bird at Tea. I’ve never used resin before but would like to put something in the teacups that looks like liquid. Resin seems pricey. Any cheaper suggestions for the tea?

• Hi, Aaron
          Your tea party is too cute. Seems to me the smaller projects are more difficulate to work with. When I do my paper sculpting and need a high shine, I just use high gloss clear acrylic spray.
          You could fill cup with crumpled paper give a light coat of Jonnies Magic paper mâché. Add tea color to the mâché.
          When dry spray with clear high shine, 3 or 4 coats . Maybe stick a tea bag in.

• Aaron, your sculpture is adorable. I can’t help but think that you were telling yourself a story while you were making it.

I have no idea how you could make the tea look transparent. Clear plexiglass? It would be hard to shape and polish. Maybe someone will come up with an idea for you.

• Aaron, I use hot glue, but admit it’s not great. If you haven’t already rejected the idea, please try it on something disposable (that won’t melt) first. Wonderful sculpture BTW.

• Hi Aaron, I love your sculpture. How about using clear plastic you find in toy wrappings and maybe color it tea color and put it in the cup. It is easy to do, cheap and should give you the illusion of having tea in the cup. And it will be transparent.

• Sorry about that I thought the resizer said 239 when I sent it. Not sure what happened there because when I pulled it back up it said 279. Anyway it should go through this time.

• Jonni, Speaking of the holiday mood, your site makes every day like Christmas morning. Or at least like a box of chocolates? Anyway, wanted to say: Happy Holidays to you—in case my mind’s too gone later on. (Hope I’m joking) Love ya!

• Karen, those polar bears are adorable. That little cub just melt the heart strings. that would be a great tree ornament.

• Karen, thanks for the bears. I am amazed at your talent. The textures are fantastic, and the whole thing is so happy. Love the eyes and face on the mama, and the baby couldn’t be in better hands. Very happy sculpture.

2. For this past Halloween, I made this mask from a ski mask, foam, using a hot glue gun and paint. This is the human fly. The top is a black turtle-neck shirt. I used a hot glue gun and dropped beads of the glue onto the shirt to simulate the texture.

3. I see there are a number of posts where the photo is not the right size. Frustrating. I don’t know if this will help anyone — I know Jonni posts a program to reduce the photo size. When I download photographs (either from phone or from camera), I load them in a free photo program online called Picasa. You can easily crop photos there, as well as other editing features. You can also “export” photos to another folder, and you can designate the size of the download. If anyone wants further instructions, I can put it together for you.

I would love to see what people are doing, and I know at times it isn’t hard to get thrown off the track. (Happens to me all the time.)

• Rex, I didn’t know about this service. I just Googled it, and it looks like it’s a Google service – but they’re moving it to something called Google Photos. Why do they keep moving and changing things that work?? Anyway, thank you so much for this advice. I’ll add a link to the top of the page – I think a lot of people have problems uploading photos because they’re using mobile devices, and I think you found our solution. Thanks!

• How big are your photos? Can you find the file size of the photos in your iPad? If they’re small enough (under 250 kb) then perhaps someone else with an iPad could help us. I don’t have one, so I don’t know if there’s something special you need to do.

• I see that. Are you getting an error message? Is the file size less than 250KB? Are you using a PC or a smartphone? If I can have more information, I might be able to help.

• Hi Francoise. Did you intend to upload a photo? If you did, it didn’t come through. The image was probably too large. Please edit the photo and try again – we’d love to see those beasts!

4. Hello,
    My first paper mâché piece is of my Gooldendoodle. She passed away half way thru, so it was hard to finish. Lucylou was 115# sweety. My piece is true to size.I Started with newspaper and masking tape. No armature. I used your paper mâché reciepe. That is the best stuff. I also made paper towel balls for the hair texture.

• Hi Nancy. I’m so sorry you lost your good friend. It must have been a struggle to create her portrait after she passed away. If you tried to upload a photo so we could see her, it didn’t come through. The image size was probably too big. I hope you’ll try editing the image and try again – I would love to see it.

5. I tried your Santa idea with a version of my own. I decided to add arms and eyes. I did not use foil but just used paper mache paste and twisted paper towel. Not really pleased with the the nose and excess glue. But turned out kind of cute in the end. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. I want to let you know that I’m shutting down the forum. Very few people signed up, so the great projects that were posted on the forum weren’t seen by very many people, and that’s a shame. The system also wasn’t set up to let me know when someone posted, so I just wasn’t keeping up.

Besides, this page is a much better place for showing off your work and asking questions, anyway. I hope this won’t cause anyone too much distress. Some ideas just don’t work out as well as we hoped, and the forum was one of them. sigh …

7. After waiting patiently for the drying time to pass, I made her hair. Cloth hot glued to her head, ripped into strips from the bottom up, painted with Gesso & positioned where I wanted it. Again several coats with drying time in between. I finished painting her today & will seal her at a later time.

8. Hello Everyone.
    After watching many hours of Jonni`s tutorial videos I have completed my first Paper Mache project, a 5 foot tall Mermaid.

Step 1 … I started off with a form (card board, stuffing and lots of masking tape)
    Step 2 … using Jonni`s recipe for “Paper Clay”, I covered the form from head to toe, front and back.
    Step 3 … Then I discovered Jonni`s recipe for “Silky Smooth Air Dry Clay” & repeated Step 2, allowing her to dry completely first
    Step 4 … I made a batch of “Jonni`s Home-made Gesso” & repeated Step 2.

• Judy, this is a fabulous mermaid! She looks very peaceful and pleasant. It is hard to believe this is your first paper mache sculpture! Do you mind my asking where she will be residing? After all, it is not everyone who has room for a 5 ft mermaid in their living room!

That is exactly what I had in mind while making her. I hope to do another in the near future that will look like she came right off “the front” of a boat 🙂

She is indeed my first piece. And for the time being she will hang in our hallway. In the spring she will be moved to my Shoppe where she will be for sale 🙂

9. Hi all once again.
    I gave some vacation to blogging, paper props and painting and decided to focus, also for financial reasons, a bit more on my etsy shop. First I tried some animal portrait on paper mache canvases but, thought more upon exploring the miniature dolls I had been doing previously, so refreshed the entire shop with new title, looks and some more dolls even if only history directed, doesnt matter.
    ANYWAYS, icon wise, thought upon making some really popular figures in order to grab some atentions and my first non historical character was the ultra famous Captain Jack Sparrow. This fellow took me a bit more time to built as he’s so full of details – those belt buckles almost drove me blind!!
    Hope you like it.
    Thanks

10. Here is a pic of my latest finished project. I love turtles, and I’ve wanted to do this piece for a long time. Making turtles was a little daunting, they have so many parts to fit together. The shells and log are made of pink insulation board covered in paper mache clay. The turtle body parts are made with Apoxie Sculpt.

• Great piece Teresa! The detail on the shells and the log is just fabulous! Who doesn’t like turtles? I did a similar type piece a few years ago, entered it into an art show and it sold the first night! I had a chance to meet the buyers and they bought it because it reminded them of going down to vacation on the Chesapeake with their children. A piece like that would speak to memories of a lot of people. Nice job!

• Wow, Teresa. That is a really beautiful sculpture. Too impressed for words, really.

I tried making a turtle, but it never made it. I think I made the top and the bottom and never the twain did meet! When you say pink insulation board, do you know if they make that in blue. The reason I ask is I have some blue and would love to give it a try again (after I finish my warthogs, etc.). I love using the blue insulation foam for separators between body and legs because it is more “solid” than regular Styrofoam.

Really a great job.

• Thanks Rex! I’ve not seen blue insulation board, but maybe it’s the same thing. It’s like styrofoam but very fine-grained.

• I think that is it. Thanks so much. If I find the right stuff, I won’t use Styrofoam for legs again. Revelations never cease!