15% OFF PATTERN ORDERS OF $30 OR MORE – USE CODE: 15%OffOver30

No artwork to share today? That’s OK, too… We’d love to hear from you. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the comment form. 🙂

1. Jonni, thank you for all your recent help coming up with a realistic mountain lion mascot head. I would like to leave photos to share with you as I have the cardboard/layout part of the project put together. Everyone I have shared photos with say how realistic it looks and how awesome it is. But I do not see a way to share photos here.
    If I coat it with Mod Podge (or what you might recommend) would that keep the paper from wrinkling when I spread on the paper mache clay?

• Hi Carolyn. We would love to see your mountain lion! Did you click on the yellow button at the top of the page that says ‘show us your artwork’? It should take you to a form where you can upload some photos, and tell us about your mascot head.
      Did you use cereal box cardboard for your mountain lion? If you did, it shouldn’t wrinkle when you add paper mache. Since it will be used at a school, I’d suggest using paper strips and Titebond III wood glue for your first layer of paper mache. It’s super-strong and dries very fast, and it will seal the cardboard underneath. You can add regular paper mache paste over it after it dries, it you want, or use some of the paper mache clay.

• I forgot to say that the wood glue mache will also help if you used card stock for the head instead of cereal box cardboard. You might want to support it from the inside while you add the wood glue and paper strips, so the weight of the paper mache doesn’t distort the shapes. When it dries it should be strong enough to hold up on it’s own.

2. Can I mix the ingredients in paper mache clay without using a hand mixer? Like just use a spatula or something to manually mix ingredients: I have an extra hand mixer that I can use just for paper mache clay but i am more worried about washing it afterwards. I read that I can’t wash joint compound in the sink bec. it can clog the sink. I am working in a project in preschool.

Thanks for replies!
    Ara

• Several people have told me that it’s possible, but it will take more time. You’ll need to make sure the paper fibers are completely distributed and broken apart. The joint compound we use does not contain plaster, like the powdered kind, so I’ve never had any problems washing it in the sink. We use the wet kind that’s pre-mixed and comes in a tub. However, the mixture isn’t edible, because the joint compound is made for the construction industry, and not for pre-school kids. If the children will be using it, make sure they don’t eat it. Another thing to consider is that it takes quite a bit of eye-hand coordination to spread a thin layer of paper mache clay over an armature. Many younger children will find this difficult.

• Hi Jonni!
        Thank you very much for your reply. At the moment, one of the projects I am working on is a huge tree in the small playroom for the bigger kids at my dept. I will post a photo when I am done. I also have a big dinosaur which will be located in the younger kids room. I almost done with the tree, had used 2 layers of paper and wood glue. I just could not decide if I will be using the paper mache clay as a final coat . I have bought a tub of joint compound that is premixed. I guess I have to check the ingredients if there is plaster mixed in it.
        Have a great weekend!
        Ara

• Great projects! I hope you’ll let us see them when they’re done. And if your joint compound is the premixed kind, in a plastic tub, it doesn’t have any plaster. Have fun! 🙂

3. Hi Jonni!

I’ve noticed that some sculptures are put on bases or stands while others are left without and was wondering if there are any rules or guidelines?

Happy thoughts,
    Riley

PS my cats love chewing on paper mache creations made with flour paste so I use watered down pva glue now. I assume that would stop the mice as well.

• Hi Riley. I use a base when I think it would look nice, and when the sculpture might fall over if it doesn’t have something heavy under it. Just a personal decision.
      I had a cat who would eat paper mache. But he would also chew on electric cords and cardboard, so your PVA idea might not have worked with him – but a ‘normal’ cat would probably not be interested in something made with glue. Thanks for the tip! 🙂

• Thanks so much for your speedy reply, Jonni! I’m participating in an art show next month and have been trying to figure out how to display my little sculptures and am glad to hear there aren’t any secret rules I need to follow.

We have a cord eating cat too! What are they thinking? And one who licks soap bottles when he’s able to sneak into the bathroom ?

And please accept my delayed yet enthusiastic praise and gratitude for all your gorgeous projects, the information you post, as well as your inspiring can-do attitude ?

Your creations are so life like and I appreciate the fact that you are so giving of all your techniques 🙂 Quick question, I’ve tried to make the paper mache clay receipt 2x and both times it came out very rubbery and not paintable like you show in your tutorial. I bought inexpensive toilet paper from Lidle and got joint compound from Walmart, and even bought a hand mixer with the dough attachments. What am I doing wrong do you think?
    Thank you so much for your time!!
    Terry

• I went to my Walmart in Richmond, VA., and they carry Wurth Ready-To-Use Joint Compound. I saw an earlier post with a similar question, and you thought perhaps they had used to much paper. I added more glue and joint compound to see if that was the issue, and it made no difference in the texture and rubbery consistency. I was able to find Pro-Form joint compound, but only in 3 gallon tubs at Lowes. I’ll switch to Pro-Form as I know you have spent lots of time working with and perfecting your recipe.
        Thank you again so much for your time!!
        Terry

• Terry, I was able to get the Wurth joint compound to work by switching to Gorilla Wood Glue. But one of my readers tried it, and got the same results you did. They may have different formulas for different factories or areas of the country. If you have some Gorilla Wood Glue in the house, you might try mixing just a small dab of the glue and a small dab of the Wurth, and see if it gets rubbery. If not, you might be able use the amount you have left over.

5. My name is Hannah Humburg, I am a junior at Maur Hill – Mount Academy and am working on a project, for my English class, focused on how to make a papier mache bowl that you could eat off of. If you have any suggestions for food friendly glue or how to make a sturdy bowl that won’t break, I would love to hear from you.

Have a great day,
    Hannah

• Hi Hannah. The cooked flour and water paste is non-toxic, but the paste and the paper are not waterproof. For a food-friendly finish to keep food from soaking into the bowl, you will want to ask at your local DIY store for a good finish for a wooden bowl or cutting board. I hope you have fun with your project! 🙂

6. Hello
    I am stuck, I do not know how to attach pieces 19, 20, 21 and 22 on the giraffe’s head. Is there a video to guide me?
    Thanks.
    Jesus

7. Anyone of you knows how to protect your paper mache art from getting eaten/destroyed by rats?mice? Thank you

• I’ve been asked that question before, and I don’t have an answer for you. We don’t seem to have any paper mache-eating mice where I live. I hope someone else will help us out. 🙂

• You might try adding essential oil of peppermint. It’s in many repellents, as they are supposed to hate the smell. I’ve never tried it though. I do use clove oil in my paper mache clay.

• Peppermint Oil. Put cottonballs with peppermint oil on them where you store your artwork or in a box dabbed with peppermint oil. Mice hate it. Another good deterrent is varnish. Anything to give it an undesirable odor. I once had mice eat soap in a cabinet until I used peppermint oil. It’s worth a try. Adopt a colony of cats but that gives you bigger problems.

I want to make a Frog Head mask. I like your frog pattern but I need it bigger. Kinkos can blow it up but it will be expensive. Any advice you can give me?

9. Jonni,

I want to make a sculpture with my son. Do you have a pattern for an armadillo or similar animal?

Thanks,