No artwork to share today? That’s OK, too… We’d love to hear from you. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and use the comment form.

1. Hi Yonni,

Thank you for the wonderful tutorials and knowledge sharing videos.
    I tried my hands to build an Indian elephant. Was happy with the outcome after working on it for 2 weeks (Mostly in the evening hours after finishing my regular job).

You have taught me a skill…Cant thank you enough….

• Hi Gauthaman. Thank you so much for showing us your Indian elephant. It’s adorable, and I’m glad you had so much fun creating it. Be sure to show us your next sculpture, too. 🙂

• I agree with Jonni. It became very personal for me. I was driving home one day after dropping off Loki’s sister (Tikki), and half the sky was dark gray and the other side was a rainbow. She died a couple of days later, and it is an image that sticks in my mind. Thank you.

2. Jonni….Looking at all the beautiful work on your page, I felt I just had to offer a little bit. The picture is new, made to go with the poem that has been hanging around for a while, waiting for a finish line. Hope you like it.
    ***************************

RAINBOWS

I always look for rainbows
    When the sun peeks through the rain
    And when I see a rainbow
    You’re with me once again.
    I remember how it used to be
    Your hand touching mine
    Then pointing up towards the sky
    Where the misty colours shine.
    No words were ever needed
    When I felt that gentle touch
    I knew that you were telling me
    You loved me very much.
    The beauty of a rainbow
    Still fills my heart with love
    For when I see one kiss the sky
    It’s you I’m thinking of.

3. Jonni, I hope you don’t mind that I replied to an email that was meant for you, but when I saw my name I just couldn’t help it. My life has been so topsy turvy lately that it’s a wonder I can even read. Multiple unforeseen dental troubles, many hurtful blood tests, other health problems and on top of that an iron and glass patio table came flying off a seventh floor balcony and landed on our car parked below and smashed the sun roof to smithereens and buckled the rest of the roof. One good thing..no one was hurt. But then dealing with insurance really upset my daughter so we have not been having a fun time. I am so looking forward to when I can start creating again.

• Joyce, it does look like the Fates are putting you through the ringer this year. We all hope you (and your car) get better soon, and you’re back to creating. We can’t wait to read your next poem or see your next piece of artwork. Take car.

4. Jonni
    Went into a junk/antiques shop this morning with my wife to buy locks. Somehow told the shop owner that I was going to turn your baby chick into a gangsta chick. “Oh,” she said, “Jonni Good. I’ve got her animals book!”

5. Hi

I recently discovered your channel on youtube looking up how to make home made paper clay. I’m really enjoying your videos. They are very inspiring and informative. Thank you for taking the time to share your work and your processes. 🙂

I’m a Contemporary Crafts graduate and since moving back home I’ve been trying to find an affordable material that doesn’t require a kiln to cast with. I’m just wondering if you have ever tried casting objects using your paper clay recipe. I did try with cold porcelain a while ago but the kinds of work I want to make I want to be relatively flat (kind of relief pieces to hang on a wall) and cold porcelain warps so much. Do you think the added paper might help reduce the shrinkage/warping? Or am I going in the wrong direction using these materials at all?

Thanks

• Hi Ben. The paper mache clay does shrink, and it will warp if it’s used as a large flat sheet. That’s probably true of most water-based products, I suppose. Also, the paper mache clay doesn’t make a very nice casting, at least the few times I tried it. People do get a better cast with the air dry clay recipe, but most people are using it in very small molds, like candy molds. However, I have had very good success with a lightweight mixture of plaster and paper, laminated with cheesecloth for extra strength. You can see my final post about that experiment here: https://www.ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-cougar-and-instant-paper-mache-recipe

Good luck finding the material you need for your work!

• Absolutely! We love to see what people are making, no matter what materials they use. I experiment with a lot of different things, and so far I’ve heard no complaints when I show them off. 🙂

• Thank you very much. I will try it.

Just one more thing. Do you think it would be possible to cast the plaster/paper/cheesecloth combination in a plaster mould? Possibly with a release agent (soft soap or vaseline or something?) and maybe having some of the cheesecloth hang out over the edges of the mold? I guess I could just try it and see what happens.

• Hi Ben. As a general rule, if the mold is hard, the casting is soft, like a latex mask. If the mold is soft, (latex or silicone) the casting is hard, like plaster. There are exceptions, like the waste molds made with plaster, but they can only be used one time. If you pour plaster into a plaster mold, and if there are any undercuts at all, no matter how small, the two pieces will lock together and you’ll never get them apart.

However, I’m all for experimenting, and if you can figure out a way to make it work I’d love to hear about it.

6. Hi everyone,

I’ve been toying with the paper mâché clay for a few years now; nothing serious. But here are a few of my friendly taxidermy style heads.

Would like to make some more and wondered if anyone had any tips on getting a smoother finish.

Thanks a lot

Victoria

• Hi Victoria. Your photos didn’t come with your comment. Did you make sure the file size was small enough? If not, there are some tips at the top of the page that will help. As for a smoother finish, have you tried the smoother air dry clay? It uses the same ingredients as the original paper mache clay, along with the addition of corn starch and with less paper. It isn’t as sticky, but it’s great for the top coat of a sculpture.

• Victoria, if you use the smooth air dry clay, as Jonni suggested, you can make it as smooth as porcelain. I looked through a few of my photographs and have attached a tapir. You can see that it is smooth, even though I wasn’t trying for a super smooth finish.

When I make the clay I use, I experimented with the ingredients until I got the texture of clay that I love — it is very close to Jonni’s recipe. I weigh the ingredients and keep the clay in a baggie to keep it from drying out, even while applying it. It dries quickly. Once the clay is applied, I wet my finger and smooth the clay (something you can’t do with the pm clay). You can push the clay around with your finger and make it smooth. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to share with you what works for me. Good luck.

Would love to see what you have done.

7. Hello, you beautiful people. I have a bit of a conundrum, and would really appreciate your input, if you all would be so kind. My dearest brother has asked me to make him a crawfish sculpture for his restaurant, and the design I’ve settled on is cartoony with long outstretched arms. The body itself is three feet long, give or take, and the arms are almost as long as the body. I have no idea how I can attach these things. As it stands, I don’t have a wire strong enough to make much of a difference. Any input would be appreciated, I am totally stumped.

• Hi Sarah. That sounds like a wonderful project! If I tried something like that I’d head to the DIY store and try to find some lightweight rebar (.375 inch thick) or maybe something like these 1/8″ thick rods. They won’t be easy to bend, but the guys at the store might be able to help with that, too. If you have one rod going the length of the critter you could add the legs by bending the end closest to the ‘spine’ and attach it to the central rod with heavy cable ties. The smaller legs shouldn’t need such heavy rods, though – I’m sure you could find a roll of wire that’s bendable but still strong enough to hold them in the right place.

This is easier to describe with a sketch:
      crawfish

Have fun!

• Another thing you can use is several pieces of coat hangers twisted together. My brother took the one end in a drill, I took the other end in another drill and we twisted. You could also put one end into a vise. It made for super strong wire and is easier to bend than rebar. I would use Jonni’s great drawing and outline for sure. How kind of her to take the time to do that!

8. Hi Jonni, Thank you for a promt reply, I knew there had to be a way, I’ll send you a picture when I get the baby finished. Iv’e always wanted and elephant, but my husband always said no, but he can’t to this little guy.
    Thanks again,
    Karen

9. Hi Jonni, I purchased the pattern for the baby elephant, but, My question is how did you have enough room on the 4×4 piece of board for all four legs? It’s probably right in front of me and I can’t see it, but I can’t figure this one out, You help is greatly appreciated.
    Karen Mikijanis

• Hi Karen. No, it isn’t obvious at all. In fact, I’m surprised that nobody every asked me before. In fact, once you asked I started to wonder if I got the measurements wrong. Fortunately, it fits. I’ll add the image below to the pattern to make it easier for other sculptors – thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I put the pattern into my image editing program with a 48″ x 48″ grid, and each square represents 2″. The elephant fits, with a bit of room to spare.
      indian elephant cutting pattern

10. Everyone’s art is so incredibly beautiful !!!!!! Here is my favorite… Aloce is 20″H and perched on a repurposed footstool leg, mounted to a slice of raw wood. All hand painted and decorated with some craft feathers. She rides shotgun with me when I go to shows. People love her….

11. Hello Jonni and everybody. Don’t know if I ever posted a photo of this. This is the cast of a sculpture I did a few years ago of Frankenstein’s monster.

• All I can say is they are amazing. I wanted to say you were missing the bolts on the side of the neck, but they look like they are there. (I don’t know if you have read “Frankenstein,” either, but the book tears out your heart. You feel so sorry for the monster guy.) Love this bust.

12. Hi Jonni , I have been super busy with hte new puppy girl . It is like having an infant – I really forgot the take everything out of the mouth every 2 seconds. She is getting better at being in studio now and this is the first piece I have managed to work on. Cardinal in Dogwood. Paper pulp mixed with my portland recipe and some plaster of paris . I love the penguins REx theya re adorable all in formation to run off to the north pole:)

• Thanks, Lee. Your cardinal is really beautiful. Have you tried stained glass. It is beautiful as is, but that would be beautiful in a window with the sun shining through. Really nice. Your painting makes me jealous!

• Thanks Rex. I have not done ‘actual” stained glass, but I have painted on glass. I did this waterlily on a fun arched shaped window in a bathroom renovation, I like the light idea too. I have fooled around with lanterns and lamps in clay. Painting on silk is very stain glass like too and I enjoy that process a lot . This is kinda my newest twist in media choices since finding Jonni when looking for a clay like building material that could be outside. I am using paper pulp with a portland cement recipe I developed . sometimes plaster and the recycled paper etc etc.

• Yeah, that is great. I could use one of those above my door, but the ceilings aren’t that tall!

After I posted the comment about the stained glass, I had second thoughts and maybe it was a bit offensive and insensitive, but I do love the way you use paint to make light. Thanks.

13. The penguins are finished. I am so relieved. The brown one (in front) turned brown because when I was mixing black, I put in too much Burnt Sienna for the undercoat, and it was a beautiful color so I decided to do a mutated penguin.

Thanks, Jonni, for the inspiration.

• OMG! (I’ve always wanted an excuse to type that, and your herd of penguins certainly apply. 🙂 ) They’re wonderful, Rex. Tell us again where the penguins will be living? You’re keeping a few of them, aren’t you?

• I love Ginger’s mask. I am so happy to get the penguins finished. I wanted to keep seven, but no such luck! Maybe 5. One can never keep penguins around. The first set I made were for a librarian who wanted them for the library. They never made it that far.

These are going to a baby girl, G, who is turning one (I made her a giraffe at birth), a sister, my best friend who let’s me tend her dog whom I love (Acey), my vet, a friend who sprayed my yard, and the pharmacists. It doesn’t seem right giving just one, so I give two or three. (Three seems right, but this time it may just be two.) And Shelbot is getting one because he helped me with a rock!

Thank you so much.

• Rex, I have to hand it to you, you gave me a good chuckle when I saw so many penguins…..only Rex! Then I saw your post as to why so many…you are a truly generous person and anyone would be happy to receive one, much less 2 or 3! Wasn’t there a movie called the March of the penguins a few years ago? They look like they are marching.

• Yeah, you are difficult competition to keep up with! Yes, the movie I saw. Actually, I’ve seen so many about penguins I can’t keep them apart, but what critters they are. I tried to make every one different. Two sizes (plus all the bits more here and there!). The last show I saw about them was on “Planet Earth” where they live on an island. Quite different from what we are used to.

14. Thank you, Joyce , for sharing your art with the world. It’s been so inspiring. I’ve sculpted a few things over the last few months and have now found your page to help me hone my skills. I’m so very excited! Here are a couple of sculptures that I’ve completed. Looking for critique from anyone who has suggestions to help me out! Thanks and Blessings!

• Hi Lyn. I’m glad you’re enjoying the site. However, the photos I think you tried to upload didn’t come through. They were probably too big. If you camera saves large file sized, check the hints at the top of the page to make them smaller – and please try again. We’d love to see your recent sculptures.

• OMG…I almost jumped off the bed when I saw my name. Thought one of my wishes had come true and I had painted a beautiful picture or written a fabulous poem while I was sleeping, but no, it seems Lyn got the name wrong and the praise was meant for Jonni, who I must admit deserves it way more than me, who doesn’t seem to do much of anything anymore. But it was nice to see my name.

Joyce