Carousel Horse update 1

Made by Isis

I’m still working on my vintage carousel horse. I still have a lot to do, but I’m getting to a stage where the basic horse shape is there – apart from the head. The first thing I have to do now is shaping the head, and it has already been very challenging to make all those strong shapes and structures of a wooden carousel horse. I’m not entirely happy with the shape that I am giving it now (see pictures), so I will revise that. If someone has a piece of advice for shaping horse heads, or other comments, be my guest – it is really challenging. The next stage is putting paper mache on all of it. Once the basic horse is solid in paper mache, I’ll make the details (the saddle, and other decorations). I know what to do in the coming weeks, hahaha!

Paper mache carousel horse in progress

Paper mache carousel horse in progress

8 thoughts on “Carousel Horse update 1”

  1. I like the idea of adding on the base of the ears. I often run into problems at that point, and I think it will help you “see” where eyes, etc., are placed. Having said that, it looks good to me. It is “thick” like a carousel horse and looks like one. I’ve been no help, but I wanted to comment on how good it is looking!

    Reply
    • Thanks Rex πŸ™‚ I changed a few things around and added ears yesterday. Still have to finish one side of the head, but the side that is faced towards the public is done, and I’m happy with it now. Sometimes it is a matter of pushing through even when it is not good enough yet, it can become good enough by working on it – that’s one paper mache lesson I learned πŸ™‚

      Reply
    • Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that! There is something off with the neck, it’s just hard to find what it exactly is πŸ™‚ Hopefully it become better by adding the ears πŸ™‚

      Reply
  2. It’s coming along beautifully! You are on the right track with the head, carousel horse heads are slightly exaggerated. Keep doing what you are doing! You are going to need reams of the clay, get that drill mixer warmed up!

    Reply
    • Haha, yes! I will need a whole lot of paper mache clay πŸ˜€
      I did find a small mistake in the head though. I was struggling with the eye sockets, because now the holes for the eye sockets are way to big. But, that is only because the neck doesn’t come far enough (it’s not bended enough to the front…if that makes any sense). It’s definitely one of the hardest projects I have ever done, especially the head.
      It is nice to hear that it looks like it’s coming along well, thanks! πŸ™‚

      Reply
    • Thanks! I did find some small mistakes that I have to correct to make it just right. πŸ™‚ I’ll post a new update when I’m done with this “basic” shape, and when I added the paper mache to it πŸ™‚

      Reply

Leave a Comment

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.

Heads up! You are attempting to upload a file that's too large. Please try a smaller file smaller than 250KB.

Note that images greater than 250KB will not be uploaded.