My bug-faced mask project continues, and I keep thinking up ways to make the project even bigger than I first intended. The clay model is finished and captured by a few layers of plaster cloth.
In the next video I’ll add his rear end, turning it into a helmet mask. I’ll also add some long wings.
Since this is an experimental project, I still don’t know how I’ll make the wings, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
Before I added the plaster cloth his left eye was bigger than the right eye. I did fix that, but I didn’t mention it in the video.
Be sure to check out Sarah’s tutorial if you’d like to see how she’s getting such great detail for her paper mache ceiling tiles. You could use her techniques to reproduce masks, too. She’s reinforcing the paper pulp on the back, which would probably be a good ideas with a masks, too.
I like to use medical grade or fast-setting plaster cloth. I get mine from amazon.com.
And if you’d like to make a mask without waiting for my experimental bug mask to get finished, be sure to take a look at my book about making paper mache masks here.
Just in case you’d like to make a cicada mask, too, here are the latest photos I’m using as models: