I worked for about an hour a day for almost a week to get the Indian rhino covered with the air-dry clay. It’s a big project, with a lot of folds and texture, so I wanted to get it just right. Now all that’s left is to finish the other side of the head and give her some toes.
If you watched the previous video, you know the rhino was made first with clay, then with plaster cloth. I did it that way so the large sculpture could be hollow. That way, it would be easy to move it around because it wouldn’t be heavy. I used plaster cloth under air dry clay for all of my baby animal dolls, too.
After the air dry clay was completely dry, I finished the rhino with a brush-on iron coating. It came out looking very rhino-like, and I’m really happy with it. As you can see in the photo here, it has a mottled, organic look to it that would have been difficult to achieve any other way. Watch the next video to see how the iron coating was added to the rhino.