Jelina offered to write another guest post, this time showing us how she built a paper mache “Chansey.” Before we get to her post, though, I have just a few things to announce.
First, I had to disable the comment notification plugin, because my web host said too many emails were going out, and if it continued I would need to upgrade to a more expensive service. Since this site is just for fun, I can’t really afford to spend more money keeping it up. Unfortunately, this means that it will be a little more difficult for you to see when someone replies to one of your comments. Please check back occasionally to keep up with what’s going on.
Second, I wanted to let you know that some really interesting experiments with masks made with cast paper pulp are going on over at the Creaturiste website. Be sure to check out that post if you have any interest in realistic, light-weight mask-making.
And now – here’s Jelina:
I hope that everybody knows Chansey, it’s a Pokemon that’s a kind of nurse with a little pocket on her belly where an egg fits in.
This is a picture of the real Chansey:
The idea to make a Chansey is not mine, it’s my sister that also loves Pokémon and she wanted a holder for a cellphone, so she asked me if I could make a Chansey, and het cellphone would fit in the pocket on the belly of the Chansey.
So I started by making an egg by blowing up a balloon, then I made the 2 arms with crumpled newspaper and taped them to the egg.
Then I made the feet, I made one ball of newspaper, and covered it with strips of newspaper. When it was totally dry I cut them in half so I had 2 feet.
As you see on the First picture, the chansey has a sort of hair (what else should I call it?)
That was the next thing I made. I made it with 6 pieces of cardboard, like you see on the next picture. And I filled it with little pieces of crumpled newspaper. Notice the little flaps on the left side, It makes it easier to attach it to the egg.
Here you see the tail. I rolled up a sheet of paper and taped it, and attached it in the right position to the back of the egg.
Then I covered it with white paper. I also pushed its arms a bit inside because they were to much sticking outwards. I think it really looks like the real Chansey.
Now I have to make the pocket and paint it.
Here you see the little pocket on her belly. It is made from a ball of newspaper.
Then I painted it, and now it looks like this: