Today’s guest post is by Cory Triplett and his 6th grade class, who show us their paper mache mummy and sarcophagus, complete with step-by-step photos. (We have an Egyptian art display in our local library, but we don’t have anything as impressive as this. All I can say is “wow!”)Â Their mummy was made in a manner very similar to the Figure Sculpture sent in by Michael Jacobson last week. This is turning into a really exciting, (yet completely accidental), series of posts about paper mache figure sculpture and portraits. Isn’t this fun?
And now I’ll turn it over to Cory:
Last year I sent information on the paper mache panther that my class and I had made. This year we tackled quite the project. The 6th grade students were studying Egypt in History class, so what better way to tie that subject in to artÂ than by making a life-sized mummy.
The students wrapped me with plastic wrap and then in layers of packaging tape. Once finished, another teacher cut me out and the teachers completed the head portion (for safety reasons). Later on in the year the students then covered the tape mummy with strips of muslin fabric coated with liquid starch. Our Mummy was complete!
But, the adventure doesn’t end there! We were going to present our mummy at our annual History Fair along with our clay Canopic jars. To make the presentation a little more spectacular I decided that the mummy needed a home. That’s right, we were going to make a life-sized paper mache sarcophagus. Due to the very small amount of time that I have with my 6th graders I had to do all of the building and painting of this project. The students helped paper mache the sarcophagus.
The structure and lidÂ were created with cardboard, glue, and tape. Then, the sarcophagus was covered with 2 layers of newspaper and art paste.
Next, details were applied with newspaper, tape, puff paint, and foam shapes. Then, a layer of white house paint was applied (I find that this step helps tighten the newspaper a little more).
Finally, the paint was added.
The gold was spray painted on and then the details were added with acrylics.
Both of these projects took most of the year to complete and they could not have been accomplished without the help of my students. They did a great job!!!